Remote Central Locking Keyfob

Butcher

This is a long shot, but when I bought the car I was told by the previous owner that he had put the keyfob through the washer and thus it no longer worked. And that he had enquired how much it would be to replace, and that it was in excess of £100.

I've never really questioned this...

But I feel like such a porper using a key. Who uses a key these days?? Everywhere I look cars are beeping and flashing. Doors and tailgates opening automatically (never mind unlocking!). And there's me, the philistine, fumbling with the key. What an embarrassment.  

Like a true porper though, I definitely don't want to pay in excess of £100 for the privilege. So I'm wondering if anyone knows if it can be done cheaper?

If you fit an after market kit you can do that for much less, a few on here use a kit from Hawk that can be had from eBay.

This one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-UPGRADE-REMOTE-KEYLESS-FOR-CENTRAL-LOCK-/330479665244

Looks interesting. I can stomach £20.

What's the fitting like? Presumably it's not plug and play. I thought my days of butchering car electrics were over once I discovered ISO adapters for headunits. 

Bought. Will see how it goes. Had a look at the schematic in the service manual and it looks easy. But it always does when not shown with the thousand other wires that look almost identical!

Was temped by self closing window modules and all sorts, but sod that. Be easier to buy a new car! I'll be happy with my flashy lights and locking doors. 

Hi didn't want to make a new post as I thought this would fit in...my fob works but only close to the car , do you think it's worth changing the battery for some range as I get that close at the moment I may as well use my key lol.

Back to the original topic for a moment. I'm going through the instructions, the Honda servive manual, the How To linked above...

It seems relatively straight forward.....until you see there's instructions for 5 different central locking types:

• Negative Locking
  • Positive Locking
  • Single Point locking
  • Vacuum locking
  • Actuator interrupt (negative at rest)

Having been through the various topics on this forum, it seems it could be pretty much any one of these. The technical sheet for the Honda Civic from Hawk says Multipoint Negative. The How To (linked above) seems to match Actuator Interrupt. Someone else is adamant that their car is wired up to Positive Locking, but they could only get it to work using relays - they also said Hawk told them Honda used 4 different methods, depending on exact model!

Is there any way I can find out for sure??

Otherwise I feel like I'm going in completely blind and they're all wired up totally different.