Holes in Spare Wheel Well?

ben183

Having bought an MB6 civic a few weeks ago I am now starting to realise that a leaky wheel well/boot is a common problem.

My boot liner board was warped and mouldy so I've had another made up to replace it but I'm obviously not keen on putting it in till I've figured out why it was damp in there in the first place.

My question is this: What is the purpose of the small hole in the floor of the car in the nearside rear of the spare wheel well? It's about 4-5mm in diameter. There are larger holes in the wheel well which are plugged up with rubber grommets that are about 25mm across. Should this small hole be plugged as well, or should it permanently be open to the elements?

I've done a few searches and it seems that possible causes of leaking are the bot seals and tail lights so I will have to check them out as well.

Any help with damp wheel well much appreciated!

Having bought an MB6 civic a few weeks ago I am now starting to realise that a leaky wheel well/boot is a common problem.

My boot liner board was warped and mouldy so I've had another made up to replace it but I'm obviously not keen on putting it in till I've figured out why it was damp in there in the first place.

My question is this: What is the purpose of the small hole in the floor of the car in the nearside rear of the spare wheel well? It's about 4-5mm in diameter. There are larger holes in the wheel well which are plugged up with rubber grommets that are about 25mm across. Should this small hole be plugged as well, or should it permanently be open to the elements?

I've done a few searches and it seems that possible causes of leaking are the bot seals and tail lights so I will have to check them out as well.

Any help with damp wheel well much appreciated!

Well my common sense says that if you have a hole in the spare wheel well, water & muck from the road will get sprayed inside as you drive. I've never noticed a hole there, nor any dampness etc., and i've got a lot of other stuff besides the spare wheel there as well so i go there every once and now. I'll take a look today (if i remember!), but in the meantime can you post a photo so we know exactly where and what you're meaning? I don't see a reason why there should be a hole there.

• Like 1

I have no holes in the wheel well of my Civic to drain/let in water, but there is a bung that is sealed into the chassis.  I've got the entire interior out of my car at the moment with my build and after looking around I would hazard a guess that the water you are talking about is coming from the sunroof drain tubes?  As Dexter says a photo would help.

If it is what I think it is then I would suggest checking the drain tubes aren't blocked or haven't come away and are leaking in the back of the car.  All 4 corners of the sunroof have a water collection point and drain tubes that drain the water out down the A and C pillars and drop it outside the car.  These can block (was a very common problem on my old RX-7!) and just needed cleaning out once a year.  Other than that it could be the rear lights leaking.  Take some of the trim out and you should see where the water is tracking from?

• Like 1

Thanks Guys, I will try and take a photo in daylight on Friday if I have time. Basically the hole is in the corner of the recess for the spare wheel. There are two rubber bungs blocking other holes down there (one to the left, and one to the right rear of the spare wheel), but this hole is smaller, and further back in the recess. I guess it's possible a previous owner drilled it out to deal with water leaks? Frustrating!

• 4 weeks later...