Flash code 21 - VTEC spool solenoid

spoony

Hey guys.

My 2000 MB6 keeps flashing up code 21. I've taken the solenoid off and checked the filter and it all looks good, there's nothing I can visually see wrong with the wiring - the plugs aren't rusty and I can't see any broken wires anywhere.

How can I test the solenoid to see if it's actually engaging?

I'm pretty sure it isn't; if when I drive, and the engine light is off it still won't go into VTEC, and then engine light will pop it's ugly head back up.

Any suggestions before I source a second hand one?

Cheers!

Previously I'd reset ECU by disconnecting the battery for half an hour, and serviced it literally 2000-odd miles ago.

Spent a couple of hours under the bonnet tonight and disconnected the battery, removed the 'back-up' fuse, re-removed the solenoid to double check it wasn't clogged and WD40'd the f**k out of every connector I could find relating to it.

Took it around the block, vtec engaged (kicked in, yo) but I only went as high as 2nd gear and it didn't limit out at 6500rpm - to which it was before.

I'm driving to Oxford and back tomorrow (from Guildford) so I'll be able to see if I've done anything to it!