Still have the same starting issue

vtec2011

I have posted on my project thread with this starting issue but thought I post in the right place haha. It's getting embarrassing because I'm a mechanic and I cannot solve the problem.

Right so.. To those who don't know, I have a Honda Civic Aerodeck MB9 (D15Z8 engine) and in the past month the car won't start in damp mornings. I have replaced the distributor cap and rotor for a new blueprint one. Fitted, all well and good but the same thing occurs the next morning. 

The symptoms.

Turn the key to start and sometimes the green light on the dash flashes. Only does it a couple times.

Turn the key for the 2nd or 3rd time, the engine then cranks but doesn't start. I spray wd40 around the plug leads and distributor and still nothing. Sometimes I have to spray a bit of brake cleaner in the intake pipe to help it start. 

The car currently has 168'000 miles on the clock and I gave it a full service 4000 miles ago. I checked all the spark plugs are firing too. I have also checked the battery voltage (when cranking) and also plenty of voltage going to the starter motor. 

I'm going to check the coil next but I really cannot see how that would be the problem.

Any help will be great, many thanks!! :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 times out of 10 starting problems on a m is dizzy which ends up needing a brand new dizzy,cap and arm won't make a difference if it's the firing pack which is fooked

The symptoms.

Turn the key to start and sometimes the green light on the dash flashes. Only does it a couple times.

When it flashes, does it crank at that point in time or not? 

When it flashes, does it crank at that point in time or not? 

When the green key light flashes, the engine doesn't crank. But after doing this a couple times, the engine then cranks but doesn't start

9 times out of 10 starting problems on a m is dizzy which ends up needing a brand new dizzy,cap and arm won't make a difference if it's the firing pack which is fooked

Ah ok, I will have a go at that today as I still got a complete distributer from my old Civic. Obviously I will fit the new cap and rotor on it.

Thanks!

I have to agree wit simpo on that one dude if u have checked all aspects of the ignition system then chances are the dizzy is fubar.

Ok I will look into it, cheers!

When the green key light flashes, the engine doesn't crank. But after doing this a couple times, the engine then cranks but doesn't start

That particular symptom could be related to the factory immobiliser! There's a few threads about it but none with a solution really! 

Have you thought about/checked earths?

Could be the cause as your saying the lights are not coming on consistently ..

I check the earth and power on the starter motor and other earthing points around the engine. All seems good via a probe tester..