Front brake seized piston

feck_on_a_stick

Question

My front passenger-side piston has seized :(

I had hoped it was something simple that was sticking so removed the caliper to clean and grease the clips and ends of the pads.  

The caliper was a little tricky getting off and once I removed it I discovered that the piston was stuck out.

I serviced the rest of the bits and pieces and now can't get the caliper back on as the piston is out too far.

Any thoughts on how I can get it to move back in again?  Even temporarily until I can get it to a mechanics?

I don't have the right tools or knowhow to take the caliper off  :(  

2C494FA7-8CFD-4AB1-89F0-2976A058520D_zps

Sorry. I forgot to update this. After I laced the piston with WD40 and pushed it back in place with the G Clamp I'd left it a few days until the morning I had it booked in with my mechanic. It must have done the trick as after all as it worked fine driving it to the garage. He had a look over it and said it was fine. Fingers crossed it keeps it working for the next while. Thanks :)

• Like 2

Ta.  I'll give that a go.  I gave up for tonight but will give that a go tomorrow.  

Also gonna head out and buy myself a few new tools just incase as I'm stupidly short of some essentials for forcing stuff.  G-clamp, crowbar etc

• Like 1

G clamp is a must mate. It should go back in no bother with one of them. As Tom says, take the cap of the brake resevoir first to allow the fluid/pressur somewhere to vent. If you find it still wont go back in, as a last resort, attach a bleed tube to the calippers bleed nipple and put the other end in a container. Then loosen the bleed nipple around half a turn. Then use the clamp to wind the piston back in, it should go in really easy. Once its in, re-tighten the blled nipple and put the cap back on the resevoir. Be careful though, as 9 times out of 10 the brake will need bled after that as it may have drawn some air in. Probably best to bleed that calipper if you use this method, just to be sure. As said, its a last resort but it will deffo work.

Thanks everyone. I bought a G Clamp and tried Toms method today which got the piston back in the caliper.

I regreased the pins and copper greased the edges of the pads and tried to get as much WD40 inside the piston rubber that I could.

When I apply the brake it sticks again though so would a faulty brake line be the next possible culprit?

It sounds like the caliper i had exact same problem on my mb6, the piston was seizing all the time but it looked healthy. Double check by cracking the bleed nipple and pushing the piston back, if it is still really hard to go back replace the calliper, if it goes back easy could be the flexi hose has collapsed.

Yes and try and get someone to help you to give the whole braking system a good bleed. I had the same problem before with a front calipper, and found that air in the system was effecting the calipper moving back after braking. I think I've got a pair of MB6 calipers in the garage (unless I gave them away with Ruby) will have a look and can give you a price if it turns out to be that.