DC2 or MG ZS suspension?

h4mza

Hey all, looking to lower my car to an equal height and handle better but at a budget price of £100. After a bit of research, I have the found the following info but need some advice. This is what I was told.

JDM DC2 stock front shocks and springs fit with no problem. Rear shocks and springs will only fit with DC2 lca. Handling and ride is much better. I have not been told if the ride height will be equal. Will the rear sit higher than front of be the same? Also can I fit MG ZS ARB with this set up?

MG ZS is the cheapest recommended suspension set up. Standard springs won't lower it so aftermarket lowering springs are needed. I was recommended Eibach springs. However I wasn't told whether the ride height will be equal. What if I use some other springs? I currently have Pro Sport 40mm springs on stock MB shocks and rear sits higher.

Last of all, are the £170 eBay coilovers better than any of the above? Should I instead get them?

As standard the front is 10mm lower, if you level it out you'll actually upset the handling. You should aim to lower the car equally on all four corners.

Why does everyone want to lower their cars for £100 this week? Go cheap, go twice!

• Like 1

Hey all, looking to lower my car to an equal height and handle better but at a budget price of £100. After a bit of research, I have the found the following info but need some advice. This is what I was told.

JDM DC2 stock front shocks and springs fit with no problem. Rear shocks and springs will only fit with DC2 lca. Handling and ride is much better. I have not been told if the ride height will be equal. Will the rear sit higher than front of be the same? Also can I fit MG ZS ARB with this set up?

MG ZS is the cheapest recommended suspension set up. Standard springs won't lower it so aftermarket lowering springs are needed. I was recommended Eibach springs. However I wasn't told whether the ride height will be equal. What if I use some other springs? I currently have Pro Sport 40mm springs on stock MB shocks and rear sits higher.

Last of all, are the £170 eBay coilovers better than any of the above? Should I instead get them?

If you are working to a relatively tight budget, you have a very limited choice.  Don't forget (unless you've already done so) that when lowering the car, you also change all the camber angles so to stop your tyres wearing away on the insides you'll need to compensate with adjustable arms etc. 

Stock DC2 LCA's on the rear are 50mm wide (if you find ones with the same style as our MB/MC's), where ours are 40mm from memory.  If you look a the Miester R setup you'll see that the rears come with shims (well washers) to make up the difference in arm thickness

You'll want an even drop front and rear, as Tom says the stock setup gives some chassis rake so if you lower both the front and back by the same amount you'll be okay.  If you don't you're also changing the caster angle and weight balance.  The stock front/rear ride height difference isn't much but try to keep it - it's there for a reason!  

Finally, search through the forum/facebook page as see what peoples experience is with eBay setups.  

Personally, I agree with Krzys, go cheap pay twice.  Coilovers would give you the flexibility to get the chassis levels spot on but if you go budget don't expect the ride or handling to be great - you get what you pay for!

• Like 1