Vibrations/shaking during driving

Daan-NL

Question

Hi All,

I have a question: my MB3 vibrates while I'm making a ride. It goes through the whole range of different speeds, mostly at constant speeds, but it's most noticeable (read: annoying) at 100-120 km/h. At 130 km/h it is a little bit better, but it still shakes. While getting up to speed, the shaking is noticeably less, but well.. I'm not allowed to keep accelerating on the highway  :wink:

The vibration is mostly noticeable in the front of the car. It is this intense that after an 2 hour drive, I'm totally shaken through.

What have I done so far (fixed at a garage):

- steering ball right (had some space)

- balance the front wheels

This didn't fix the problem.

Things I think that might be a reason, but I have no clue how to check:

- Economic mode

While writing this post it came to me to check if the vibration is still there when I'm doing 100km/h in fourth gear. Will check that shortly.

Anyone any ideas where to look for?

Try swapping the front wheels with the rear. See if the vibrations move with them. Also could be worth checking the tyres themselves. See how you get on with that and we can go from there.

Would defo get the rear wheels balanced too.

Failing that, check for bearing play/noise.

Also should've changed the track rod ends in a pair. So worth doing the left too.

And finally it could be a driveshaft issue.

• Like 1

Isn't usually the very same ring that traps moisture and eventually weakens the shaft allowing it to twist and snap?

Those be the ones!

I've only ever managed to snap 1 Honda drive shaft doing a wheel spin in my many years of driving however its pretty common for Nissans for some reason.