X Reg MB2 1.4S auto

Gel

My wee 1.4 auto was the most reliable car I've ever owned too mate. Passed every mot with flying colours, never broke down and apart from regular services and at most brake pads/shoes, never had to spend money fixing it either! Loved that wee car!

My Advisories state my rear discs and pads need replacing in the near future......I've just forked out for insurance so the I'll have the brakes renewed next month if my Bank manager is agreeable.......I would have preferred having the work carried out there and then but the Garage was "flat out like a lizard".

Yeah,  it's a doddle of a job and relatively cheap :)

I spent a fair amount when I first got the car 3 years ago (suspension work, replaced cam belt, pump, tensioner etc.)

In reality it would cost circa £2,000 to replace my car with an equally good newer car so it makes perfect sense to spend £100 having the back brakes renewed even though my car can't be worth much over £500 which in turn means I'm always underinsured.....he he I can't have my cake and eat it.

The engineering bathtub theory doesn't apply to Honda's....lol...lol...lol

• 9 months later...

I had the underside of my car cleaned and under-sealed after my last MOT advised there was slight corrosion underneath.

It's a brilliant A to B car but it recently started running slightly hot in heavy traffic.......I simply replaced the engine radiator fan switch....and hey presto my car is back to behaving properly.

MOT is due in a couple of Months......I'm detecting slight movement in my front nearside wheel so I expect the MOT will flag up the problem,  other than that my car has a good chance of passing IMO......I'll see what the MOT tester has to say ...lol

I can only liken the Honda Civic to a Massey Ferguson tractor...in that.....it just won't die :cool:

• Like 2

Good to hear @Gel mine was flagged up for some corrosion also but once the weather improves going to be doing some rust proofing of my own. 

Wouldn’t mind swapping coolant and replacing some bushes this year, because as you say there really isn’t anything going wrong that requires loads of £££ to be spent! Frees up the cash for other stuff. 

Hope it passes and you get more happy happy years out of it! 

• Like 1

@AJCivic ,  fingers crossed your corrosion will soon be a thing of the past,  it's a dirty job but it'll prolong the life of your trusty car.

Yes, it's been a very trusty car @KiNK43 and has never let me down over 4 yrs trundling round London.  I was very impressed how rust free your car was when you removed the sill mouldings........"tis a consummation Devoutly to be wished" :driving1:

Question :  have any of you been declined insurance when your car reached 20 years old ?