X Reg MB2 1.4S auto

Gel

Just ordered front shocks (Monroe) and a rear brake caliper (Micks Garage).....I purposely avoided online cheapies.

Parts should arrive tomorrow...he he....like a child... I can't wait.

49 minutes ago, Gel said:

Just ordered front shocks (Monroe) and a rear brake caliper (Micks Garage).....I purposely avoided online cheapies.

Parts should arrive tomorrow...he he....like a child... I can't wait.

Nice one you’ll have to let us know what they’re like! Will you be fitting the shocks yourself? Tempted to get some myself, the front suspension feels none existent at times!

The MOT flagged up "misting shocks" so I decider to replace them regardless of them behaving perfectly.

I suppose I'll notice a little difference once the newbies are fitted but I'm not expecting a black and white difference.

My rear brake caliper has been sticking ever since I got the car so I expect a noticeable difference once the new caliper is fitted....yes, I could of freed the caliper but I'm fed up pratting about.

I'm no longer agile enough to climb under cars so I'll be having the work carried out by my local mechanic........I never stay and watch the work being done because I'd be inclined to tell the mechanic how to do the job properly........I expect most of you understand where I'm coming from....lol

Looks like my A to B car will survive for the foreseeable :)

• Like 2

I think you will notice a fairly big difference with the new shocks Gerry, more than you might think. One thing though, make sure you take her for a full geometery set up afterwards as the alignment will be all over the place. Another thing to note, tell whoever is fitting them to do them up only loosely while car is on ramp. Only tighten/torque them fully once car is back on the ground as they need the weight of the car on them first. Otherwise the bushes will already be under strain which buggers up the ride. I'm taking Mindy in soon to have this done.

Rear calipers are a pain! You've done the best thing replacing them, no more hassles (well not fir a long time at least!).

Finding a mechanic you can trust nowadays is like finding gold! I'm still looking for one to look after my cars (for servicing and big jobs i cant do)!

Just came off the phone from my MOT Garage......they'll fit the parts and do the necessary tracking for £160.....not bad considering my local Mechanic wanted £180 without tracking.....he has tracking equipment but his Garage floor is too uneven for using precise equipment IMO.......full geometry set up ....you sure I need to go to such lengths ?.....I shan't be asking the car to handle like a leach....lol

My Mot Garage knows what it's doing so I shan't tell 'em how to load and torque the shocks....if I do they'll probably want another £50.

The Garage owner actually rang me to see if I'll pop down to diagnose  their workshop washing machine that's sticking mid cycle.....all I have to do is diagnose the problem.....they'll do the donkey work once they know what's ailing the machine.

Hope Mindy shudders less once you have the work carried out :)

• Like 1

That sounds like a decent price mate! Apparently its the suspension being tightened fully while car is in the air that causes the shuddering over bumps etc. Hadnt heard of this before I had Mindy, but can see how it would affect the car. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dave said:

That sounds like a decent price mate! Apparently its the suspension being tightened fully while car is in the air that causes the shuddering over bumps etc. Hadnt heard of this before I had Mindy, but can see how it would affect the car. 

Makes perfect sense but I'm not brave enough to tell 'em how to do the job ......I didn't charge them to fix their washing machine so in turn I expect they'll look after me.

• Like 1

I thought my old shocks were adequate but there's a marked difference....so much so....I thought I was in a different car.

The new rear caliper means I'll be using less fuel and not wearing out the the new disc and pad .

To treat me and the car....I fitted new black mats with red piping.......he he .... I have a thing about red and black combined.......I'm tempted to get a proper black leather steering wheel cover with red stitching.....that's the height of my mods 

• Like 1

Thought you would notice a difference mate! Nice to see the MB getting some treats! Red and black is always a winner, and funny how even a new set of mats can make a car feel so much nicer. I bought one of those kits you used to be able to buy to retrim your steering wheel in leather for my old MA8 Civic. Spent hours doing the stitching, think i did them in blue to match her paint. Long tedious job but well worth it. Wheel felt nice being leather and also chunckier/thicker.