Rattling sound when driving uphill

BasV

Hello civic owners, I have two problems which I hope you can help with. The first problem is when accelarating uphill there comes a rattling sound from the engine. It s only uphill because when driving down hill or straight everything is ok. I noticed this in holland a while back but now on vacation in Italy with all the hills i am a bit worried. Fluids are all ok and the heat shield also. I hope someone can help!

I will do the ecu reset tomorrow and if it doesnt help the belt /pump check at home. The rattle does not seem to be affected by the airco turned on or off, thank you for the help so far.

• Like 1

If you're lucky your rattling (Pinking) may be down to over advanced timing ?.....could also be caused by low octane fuel...

or your engine may need a cylinder head de-coke.

Retarding the ignition timing may get rid of the engine clattering ?.....good luck :)

• 2 weeks later...

ECU reset does not seem to have solved the rattling sound. I just remembered when getting the car a while back I put new (twin) spark plugs in it. Could it be that this engine doesn't respond well to that kind of spark plug?

Don't think different spark plugs would be a huge difference unless it's the wrong length of plug in it,I would check the distributor cap and rotor arm and clean or replace them depending on what you find which is a quick and easy check double check your plugs are correct ones

Distributor cap contacts are corroded and also worn, cleaned them and going to order a new cap and rotor to be sure. I want to check ignition timing but don't have a timing gun, I'll ask arround if I can borrow one