My MB6 not running right

Junior92

Hi I recently bought mb6 off my mate for £200. It's been parked up since 2011 and I managed to get it running the other day. I've been driving it for a week now and it does have lots of issues that need looking at. So I came across this forum and found a few guides which may be useful. I'm not a mechanic but have worked on few cars in the past with one of them being a Honda Civic EK 1.4

I've always wanted to start a project, a car that I could fix and build myself. Seeing the EK was the easiest car I worked on and this looks similar, I want to try and work on this all by myself too. I hope some one can answer to my problems which I'm going to list below. 

When I start up, puff of smoke shoots out from the exhaust, rev needle goes to 3k and stays there for 5 seconds then slowly comes down to 1.5k, the car then sounds like it's misfiring, engine vibrates/shaking and exhaust spits out black stuff. When I rev it, the revs go from 1k to 2k constantly, this happens when driving and coming to a stop when idle. If I release the clutch halfway at biting point when in gear, the revs then stay at 1k. The VTEC works but I don't feel the iabs, at 5k is an agressive and loud pull but can't notice the iabs at like 6-7k ish. The car has induction kit and exhaust, could it be because the exhaust it loud. Also there is oil leaking somewhere, I can see it where the B18C4 is written on engine. The valve cover gasket looks dry but there is little oil on intake manifold so I think it might be intake manifold, or could it VTEC solenoid which is why I don't feel the iabs? Also blue smoke comes out from the exhaust after VTEC and I've noticed oil level dropping, is it burning oil in VTEC? When putting into reverse, the gearbox crunches and sometimes doesn't go into reverse, I have to put neutral and release clutch and then put in reverse. The steering wheel does not lock when key is removed and steering is very heavy on this car compared to my cousins EK 1.4. There a few electrical issues but I might be able to sort them out. 

What I've done so far on the car is, new spark plugs which hasn't sorted misfiring issue and cleaned idle air control valve which hasn't fixed the idle issue. Also checked the condition of vacuum lines and they are good. I don't VTEC alot until the car is fixed but I've read that to fix oil burn and blue smoke, I need to replace valve stem seals, is this right? It doesn't look much of a job as head comes of and need a special tool to remove the springs right? Also how I sort the idling and misfiring issue as that is my main concern for now. Thanks for reading.

you may have done the spark plugs, but may be worth doing a proper service on it mate, so plugs, oil and filter, fuel filter would help and a new air filter. once they've been done see how it feels.

regarding the steering, check your powersteering fluid level and belt is on tight etc.

i have changed valve stem seals on my D16 but its still smoking, so could try the seals, and yes head needs to come off. make sure you either get honda seals or a good brand, there is 2 different ones, ones for exhaust side and ones for inlet side which i eventually found out when i did them again!

my gear box sometimes crunches aswel, but i have an uprated clutch and flywheel. maybe worth doing a gearbox oil change but use honda fluids.

try the simple things first and go from there. the idle might be having a play with the timing so play about with the dizzy and find a happy medium

hope this helps