Eibach 30mm Springs on New MGZS Shocks, Big Improvement!

Hondamad1988

Well after months of harassing you guys while I faff deciding what shock and springs combo to settle on, a nakard front shock forced my hand.

We've ended up with brand new MG ZS 180 V6 shocks, and MB Eibach 30mm springs all round.

Got the 4 wheel alignment done today, no chamber adjustment, so fronts are 1.78 degrees, and rears a little too far at 2.48 degrees.

But i've got to say in comparision to the the mgzs springs it now feels so much nicer. The MG springs I found too harsh on the front as designed for the weight of the 2.5. Aswell as being harsh, the front sat too high, and the rear bounced around what seemed like too much.

The car now feels smooth, but firm. I would almost describe it as feeling more natural. Haven't tested for a proper run round the country lanes as the family was on board, but feel much more planted and controlled.

A little more twitchy hitting bump on the duelly and motorway but that is most likely the chamber settings.

Some people mentioned them begin too harsh, I'm not sure if this was with these springs fitted to Koni shocks, as overall they seem alot smoother and less harsh than MGZS springs, while also feeling firmer on turn in. Currently avoiding pot holes like a hawk, but the odd harsher bump has maybe been a little harsher than before but not dramatically and the overall improvement in general driving they are definitely smoother overall.

I will look into chamber adjustment for next summer. I read somewhere recently that up 2 degrees chamber is the optimum for handling, so now considering just getting the rear chamber matched to front, anyone got an opinion on this? 

Re ride height the front now just sits a little lower than rear as Honda originally intended  :-D

Cheers man, I read some of your previous posts which helped my decision.

Ive allways avoided coilovers as I would spend the rest of my life adjusting the ride height thinking it could be better, Ill waiting till i can afford my own laser alignment ramp  :-D

Might try adjusting chamber on rear in spring, and concentrate on tidying up body work and sorting exhaust for now.

Only odd thing i noticed is the steerring rack almost feels like a longer rack at low speed, may also be that I just got used to the work van.

Will post pics after we return from our Sherwood trip, cant be posting photos with the big nasty grey halfords roof box.

what front caster have you got atm ?

been thinking about swapping my front top arms over, as the MG have done this on the OE Mgzs180 <with different part number>

got front Buddy club in atm adjustable camber only, may even swap them over first,just working outside sucks in the rain and cold :x

its on the lists WACK11111

went to a different alignment place this time, and they havent listed caster, the space is there its just grey with no reading. I had it done a month ago with standard MGZS180 shocks and springs at a different place I think they listed caster, i can try i dig it out if it helps? annoying cant compare with eibach fitted tho!

Can you buy caster adjustment kits?

what front caster have you got atm ?

been thinking about swapping my front top arms over, as the MG have done this on the OE Mgzs180 <with different part number>

got front Buddy club in atm adjustable camber only, may even swap them over first,just working outside sucks in the rain and cold :x

its on the lists WACK11111

Don't swap front top arms. Maybe they did my alignment wrong (I told them to align it as a MG ZS) but I know after the swap the car was horrible to drive. Changed them back immediately.

I bought a new set of MG zs rear shocks and springs of eBay last year for 100, a new set of front mgzs shocks off eBay for 100 and a set of eibach 30mm springs which where a couple of years old for a 100, so 300 in total, so it was a tough decision between this and Koni set up but I'd allready bought the rear shocks and eibach springs. Rimmerbros bros have the front shocks, I think the rear are out of stock on Rimmerbros tho?