Car rolling down a hill in 2nd gear

JK1245

Question

The MB6 is doing some really weird and quite frankly scary stuff at the minute. Basically, the handbrake cables are shot and don't hold the car so I leave it in 2nd gear. Parked the other day at Uni, come back to see massive blocks of wood under the car and at first I'm p**sed off because I think someone is taking the p**s. I pull em out, open the door and the car starts kangarooing down this hill. What the hell is going on?? Only started this very recently, does it on my drive now as well and it's not a massive incline.

(Handbrake cables are on the way from Euro)

6 answers to this question

Sounds like the engine is turning over from the weight of the car pulling it downhill. I used to have a 205 with a 954 cc engine and a crap handbrake and if i left it in 3rd with the handbrake on you could still push it around! :D

If you're pointing downhill nose first leave it in reverse. And try 1st for uphill.

• Like 2

Sounds like the engine is turning over from the weight of the car pulling it downhill. I used to have a 205 with a 954 cc engine and a crap handbrake and if i left it in 3rd with the handbrake on you could still push it around! :D

If you're pointing downhill nose first leave it in reverse. And try 1st for uphill.

Same! Never leave it in a gear facing downhill! Forward gears for when the car is facing up hill and reverse for when it's facing down hill! 

• Like 1

And also are you parking on a road with a curb? If so, facing down hill, turn the steering fully to the left, and facing up hill, turn to the right, that way, should it roll, it'll roll in to a curb, not in to the road or another car.

• Like 1