Distributor/Cap/Plug weires problem ?

Viltor

Question

Good evening everyone,

Recently when I was going to work, it was a rainy day and at low rpm when I accelerated i felt my car bogging between 1500-3000rpm. The problem went away after few miles of highway. 

Few days after the samething happened and after I let the car idle for few minute the problem is gone again. One thing that I noticed is, when im on the highway when I press the gas, the car seems to pull very well until 5k rpm after that between 5k and 6k it seems there is some loss of power.

I also noticed that if i keep the accelerator steady around 5k rpm the car seems to misfiring/loss of power.

Any of you had a similiar problem ?

What are you opinions ? 

Thanks

PS: my distributor cap has cracks new the screw areas, does it affect the performance ?

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

Can be the distributor cap, like you say that it have cracks, maybe sometimes due the temp changes your cap expands a little bit and the rotor loses contact with it. I would say, change the cap and the rotor.It's not that expensive.

Hi everyone, mu orders didnt arrive yet. But My fried inspected the rotor and he saw it was burned. He cleaned it with a knife and it improved a bit, it seems it is the rotor. Monday i think my order will arrive and i will change the rotor too see how it goes

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

After i chamged my denso sparks to NGK, i changed also the wires to blue ones from NGK, the dizzy cap, rotor and ignition module and the problem still exist. Could it be possible an exhaust leak do it ? Cause i have one where my catback meets the tube to the backbox.

Thanks

Two main culprits for these types of problems are dizzy/ignition bits.

Or lambda sensor.

Quite often lambda will cause flat spots and stuttering. But if you put your foot flat to the floor. All of a sudden engine will respond as it should. And return to stuttering at part throttle at certain rpm.

Not saying your problem is your issue but that's where I'd look next.

PS: If i remember correcly, the first time i noticed that flat spot it was after i Installed my new headers. Today i tested a p30 ECU of a friend of mine and I didnt feel the flat spot at 5300rpm but I didnt have vtec also. Could it be because i installed a new header with a 2.5 collector and i need to tune my car ? Thanks