hi all, just sorned the civic for some much needed tlc. i have many plans for it, such as roll cage, bucket seats, lighten, blank sunroof, remove abs and ac, bake lines and fuel lines in car, hydraulic handbrake and maybe a few more.................. 

but, i want to freshen up the head, burns a bit of oil.

do i need new head bolts or reuse old ones?

anything i can do with the head off to gain a little? 

is there a how to guide somewhere on head rebuild/ torque setting etc ?

• Like 1

plenty of information out there on the web with these heads. It'd be a good idea to upgrade the bolts while you're in there, ARP sell a set. Who knows how many hours/stretch the old ones have. A set of new stems seals should help your oil consumption, i'd go with genuine honda for these.

You could port and polish it, porting can be a bit tricky if you don't know what you're doing but it wont hurt to polish the exhaust ports and combustion chamber, smooth out casting marks and stuff. 

Having any machine work done? you could upgrade to oversize valves and new seats installed. Also skimming a touch off will up your compression a touch giving you more power, but bear in mind it may have been skimmed before and there's only so much you can take off. 

Then there's camshafts, could go for a more aggressive cam profile from a type r or aftermarket, there's tonnes of cam profiles to chose from. Then you'd need to fit stronger valve springs to be able to rev higher and get the most out of it. 

All depends on your ££

• Like 2

Maybe buy one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Rebuild-Honda-Engines-Break--Installation/dp/1932494782/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454015603&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+rebuild+honda+b+series+engines

Got it for christmas a year ago, very helpful even though haven't gone through a rebuild yet. It's "highly recommended to replace head bolts with studs for any rebuild". But you'll need a Haynes manual etc. for the torque settings. Or you can always download the official service manual from this forum, just click on the downloads tab on the top of the screen.

• Like 2

I'd deff renew the head bolts mate, just for piece of mind. They do tend to stretch, so would be a good idea to replace seeing as you're going for power. Gonna be a nice project to follow this one.

And yes they do tend to use a little oil ;-) But if the oil consumption is high, then replace the stem seals. What kinda mileage has she done?

• Like 1

STAY AWAY FROM XS POWER!!! Cheap knock off shit.. 

Genuine honda or high end brand (Skunk2, Supertech etc) 

Defo new head studs. 

Defo DO NOT polish the ports. Its been proven on numerous occasions that a polished chamber actually REDUCES power as the air needs turbulence before entering the compression chamber.