Downstream O2 sensor removal/wiring

EdGasket

I have an MB2 with a downstream O2 sensor plugged into the back of the cat. It is likely I'll need to change the cat as it keeps throwing a P0420 (cat efficiency) code and setting the engine check light. The problem for me is that the downstream O2 sensor sits on top of the cat and the wiring disappears into the floor and I can't see how to disconnect the O2 sensor wiring so that the cat can be removed. It looks like the wiring goes through the floor somewhere behind the centre console. 

Can anyone tell me how I can access the downstream O2 sensor connector plug? I think there must be an easier way to change the cat than to have to remove the centre console!  How do exhaust places do this job?

I know on some models the wiring goes through a rubber Bing which pushes in to the floor.

If you get a flat screwdriver under the rubber and pop it off you should be able to wiggle the wiring so the connector comes out, then it's just a case of disconnecting.

hope that's of some help.

Well I used some Cataclean and it passed the MoT emissions so fortunately I don't have to worry about it for another year. I turned the engine light off again and it has not yet come back on after the Cataclean but its only a couple of days so far.

Yes the wire would appear to come up quite far forward behind the centre console; not sure if it can be pulled through from below; it's possible but i saw a thread somewhere where the connector was attached to the bulkhead so I really can't say.

• Like 1