Brake problem

marv

Question

hi guys, just fitted my ep3 calipers and discs to my ej8 civic. I bled the system using a one man bleeder and the brakes were removed from my previous coupe so I know they were working good. I had a nice firm pedal but when driving the pedal goes down to the floor. I couldn't see any obvious leaks. When driving and pumping the pedal it makes no difference (pedal dosent get harder) for some reason there is no chechk valve in the brake booster pipe, was like this when I bought the car and the calipers that were on before worked. They did however feel weird, pedal would change from firm to soft when breaking, and the idle would go up and down when the brakes un pressed. Could this be one of the problems? Faulty master cylinder? It has a 1" master cylinder and I do have a spare I could fit.

Any help would be appreciated.s 

4 answers to this question

Well I found the cause, burst rear brake pipe between the flexi and rear wheel cylinder on the osr. Will get the pipe and fittings tomorrow and have ago at making up a new one.

• Like 1

Could be the master cylinder itself that's leaking mate. But do check the whole braking system, as it's in a bit of a dangerous state if it's losing fluid.

2 hours ago, Dave said:

Sounds very much like the master Cylinder is at fault mate. I take it you aren't losing brake fluid?

Checked the brake fluid when I arrived at work and it was low, was full last night. Going to bring it in the workshop when I finish and have a look about. Surely if it's lost that much fluid there'll be an obvious leak?