fob not working

m0l0t0v

Hi Guys,

Got an mb3 and the fob isn't working. When the car was first given to me the fob worked, but I had to press hard to unlock. Lock worked fine.

At some point (Can't remember when) it stopped working altogether. Thought it may have been the batteries so I bought new ones. Doesn't work. The light doesn't go on, so not a reprogramming issue.

Not too long ago I dropped/got the fob a bit wet to some degree and it started working again, but only on locking the car, not unlocking. 

Is there any known faults like this? Would like to get it fixed, if not I'll get the HAWK locking system. I'll put up pictures of the fob in a bit.

Yeah, the fobs and actually the whole remote central locking system is pants! You need to be close to the car for it to work, and the fob needs an unrestricted view of the sensor inside the car or it doesn't work. What you can do is try and clean the inside of the rubber buttons, as they can get dirty and then failt to make proper contact with the circuit board.Be careful cleaning them though, just use a damp cloth and go gently on them. There's like a coating on them (magnetic? Lead? Or something else!) so be careful not to remove it when cleaning.

Clean the battery terminals inside the fob too, to make sure it's getting good contact.  If the fob got really wet and the water got inside (after the battery was replaced) the new battery could now be busted.

TBH, you're deffo better with an aftermarket alarm system that has the remote locking feature or like you say the Hawk lockinjg system. Much much better than the oem system!

• 6 months later...

I had the same problem on my MC2 some month ago. I replaced the battery of course, but I didn't solve anything. After a more careful inspection, however, I finally found the problem, as the solderings between the LED pins and the electronic card inside the fob were damaged. I simply re-soldered them and the fob came back to life immediately (obviously with its inherently poor range due to its IR technology...)