Brake Disc bolts/screws - needed?

m0l0t0v

Hello,

So I got the dreaded grinding noise of metal to metal from my rear left wheel and knew instantly that the pads were way past their service life.

Went to inspect the damage, but on first inspection, disc looked fine and there was still organic material on the outer pad. When I took the inner pad out however... it's worn so unevenly! And the metal warning thing had snapped off which is why I never heard it! The pad itself is worn at an angle with the "top" of the pad being worn to the metal while the bottom still has about 5/6mm of compound left. Obviously the inner and upper part of the disc is b****red so that means new discs as well...

However, I noticed that the disc itself is move-able, surely it should be bolted on properly and wouldn't this cause the issue? Using my google-fu it came on another civic forum saying you don't need the retaining bolts/screws as once you bolt on the wheel the disc sits flush on the hub and theoretically shouldn't move(other than with the wheel obviously). If this is true, then why would only one pad be worn this way?

Definitely getting new pads and discs, but where would I buy the retaining screws/bolts from? I can see them on ebay, but would like to get it sorted tomorrow... I'll put up pictures of the pads and disc tomorrow.

That's a really strange one mate and not something we've heard of before. It could be that the pad itself has moved due to the metal clip breaking away from it, hence why you got the metal on metal noise. Is there actually a retaining screw on the rear discs? Or has it been left off when someones changed the pads previously? It may be that the screw has sheared when they've gone to remove it, so might still be a bit still in there? The wheel bolts do hold it in place when tightened up so it shouldn't move other than the directions its meant to. ;-)

Honda sell the retaining screws mate. Bought a few from my main dealership (Western Honda). New discs and pads should have you all sorted. @m0l0t0v

I forgot to take the picture! Still got the bit sin my boot so I'll put it up tomorrow.

And yeah I thought it was weird. And figured out that the screw heads were drilled off. As that's what I had to do on the other side...

Oh well, new discs and pads in. I'll check them at the end of the week and see if there is any abnormal wear.

• 1 month later...

The screw doesn't really do anything. Think about it. When you do the wheel nuts up it forces the disk against the hub much more than any screw does. All the screw is for is so that the disk doesn't fall off when changing the pads.