Just joined the forum a couple of weeks ago when I got into the Honda game, needed a cheap run around with decent mpg so bought my mates MB3.

Which is the 1.5 sport vtec-e so only £12 something tax and a healthy mpg figure.

I've been over on the new members section but thought I would start a thread here for any updates and of course pictures :D

As it belonged to a friend I wasn't too worried about it but knew it would need a few things, here are a couple pictures from when I went to look at it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Because I couldn't pick it up for a few weeks (had to sell my other car first) I went and ordered some wind deflectors for a rover 400 (because they were cheaper than the Honda ones!?) and they actually fit pretty well! B)

• Like 1

When I managed to sell my old Peugeot I changed insurance over and went to pick up the Civic.

First job was a desperately needed clean, so went to the jet wash and was looking better already! 

A thorough clean and vacuum inside probably doubled the cars appeal as it was filthy, I love a clean car.

image.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Dave said:

That's a tidy MB3 mate. I like the 1.5 as they're still nippy to drive but are also amazing on fuel! Best of both worlds!

Yeah it does have a bit of go, think maybe a new fuel filter is due as it can bog down a little.

So, because I knew I hadn't had an oil change in the past year I thought it best to do that next and it also needed new pads on the front. 

So bought: oil, oil filter, pads and new brake fluid (because people don't seem to change it as often as they should and the brakes were a little soft)

got the car in the air and dumped the nice black oil out, went to change the filter and found my first issue; the replacement was different to what is on the car!? This was good Friday so my parts guy was closed all weekend! 

b****r!

I also couldn't get the filter off!

So I thought I will just leave it alone for the min until I have the right filter and filled back up with nice fresh oil.

here is a picture of the filter on the car if anyone knows what type I need (the replacement I got is a bigger diameter and shorter)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Changed the front pads and sprayed wd40 on all the bleed nipples as they were very tight and I didn't want to risk snapping then without replacements at hand (so ordered some, fronts I know 100% are m10x1 thread if anyone needs to know)

The next week was my MOT which I failed on the drivers side brake binding (I knew it was slightly but was worse than I thought) and the exhaust had a couple of big blows in it as it was generally a bit bodged!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I had a look around but went for a standard system for the time being as it was on the shelf at my parts place, spent last weekend fitting that and fixing the sticking calliper.

the standard exhaust is so so quiet!! I'm also now catching the centre box getting into my parking space which sucks!

To fix the front calliper I took it off, pumped the brake to push the piston out, clamped the hose then pulled the piston out completely. 

Note that brake fluid will go everywhere so have a tub of some kind to catch it and make sure you clamp the hose!

Check the piston for rust, mine had a tiny bit that wiped off with a wire brush but the main issue was inside the calliper just after the square rubber seal there was some rust, wire brush that away and then clean the whole area.

this should fix any sticking brake issues (providing your sliders are ok)

A great tip I found for getting the rubber boot back over the piston is to loosen the bleed nipple and put a car tyre foot pump or bike pump over the nipple. You can then pump the rubber seal out and it will pop over the piston 

Sounds like you've been busy! I'd check with Honda to see the correct part number for the filter mate then either show the nu.ber to your parts place so they get you the right one, or get it from Honda. Good you got the fresh oil in, sou ds like she was needing it. That exhaust was well shot eh! To stop the new one catching, find out what bit is catching. Then loosen off the clamps and turn the exhaust about a bit to see if you can get it sitting further up into the car. Usually takes a bit of fiddling to get the sitting bang on. Great tip with the caliper seal!  

Haha yeah pretty busy! Oh I also changed the cabin filter for the sake of a few quid, not sure it's ever been changed. Que before and after picture.

Oh, also had the classic heater issue so I've got a new heater resistor to go in.

I noticed this morning that I have a bit of a drip behind the glove box which I assume is coming by the cabin filter. Not good.

image.jpeg