Replacing head unit MB4

Palm9

Hi,

I'm changing the headunit in my MB4 because the old one wasn't working properly. The screen would fall out intermittently and when touched, it would turn off. I bought a new JVC unit which is very nice, but I cannot seem to make it fit. It's as if the wires or something else perhaps is blocking it from seating correctly in the DIN slot. Needs like 1-2 more cm to sit properly and lock in place. I tried literally everything i can do without tearing the interior apart, because I cant figure out how the interior is put together. 

I'd happily accept any advice as to how I can make my new head unit fit.

Also, I noticed that when I adjust my cluster bulb lights they flicker, nothing severe, just wanted to mention it. And also, is the clock in the center console (above head unit) supposed to be unlit? I cant see anything in the evening/night on it. During the daytime its fine.

Hope you guys can help me :)

- Fred.

• Like 1

Hi Frederik. The fitting of the head unit is really tricky. Even putting the standard one back into the slot can be hard. With your new head unit having the extra wiring adapter, there isn't enough room for the head unit to go fully back. So what you need to do is try and tuck the wiring down one of the gaps at the rear. Not changed a head unit for a long time in these but from what I remember there should be a gap at the right side rear of the slot? You need to feed the original wiring and connector down into that space, then you should be able to get the head unit to slip back into place. It will still be tight, but it will deff go in. Another thing that can stop it is some head units have a heat sink on the rear of the unit. Depending where it is it can sometimes be inline with the rear radio support bracket right at the back of the slot in the dash. Bes bet here is to get a hack saw blade or similar and cut that bracket out. It's fiddly but worth getting rid of as it's serving no purpose and will give you more room at the rear of the head unit.

The clock is indeed meant to be lit, and is a common fault where the small bulb has blown. You need to take the head unit out to get access to this, so best to replace the bulb before you refit the stereo.

The flickering lights whilst dimming will be dirty contacts on the dimmer switch. These are pretty much sealed units so a replacement switch is the only way to fix it. I should have some of these in stock if you need one :wink:

Hope this helps mate, and welcome to the club.

:cool:Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you! I managed to get the head unit in place. Too bad about the clock bulb though, there's a clock on my new headunit which I'll just resort to looking at in the dark then :)

I might try the local scrapper first for a new contact, but its not a huge problem for me, as they are fine unless I start messing with the switch :)

Appreciate the help and warm welcome to the club applause.gif1

- Fred

• Like 1