B18C4 burnt distributor cap and rotor + possible pitting in piston

Dexter

I failed MOT this year due to emissions. Got O2 under control by changing the lambda sensor, but HC was still high, so i started checking the ignition. And what did i find once i opened the distributor cap:

IMG_6142.jpg

IMG_6144.jpg

IMG_6145.jpg

IMG_6147.jpg

The cap almost fell off since the screw wasn't holding it in place anymore. Needless to say i'll be replacing the cap and rotor, but what could possibly cause this? I'd like to prevent it happening again in the future. Some background info that might or might not help diagnosis:

- the cap and rotor were replaced about 5 years ago (OEM)

- leads were upgraded to Magnecor KV85 at the same go

- i've been using NGK Iridium plugs. Checked them yesterday (looked fine) but still changed to regular Denso's.

- about an year ago when i was replacing plugs i discovered oil in the plug wells. I cleaned the wells, replaced the seals along with the rocker cover gasket and thought problem solved but still found some oil in well nr. 1 yesterday when checking the plugs. Can't tell for sure if i just forget to clean it properly or if it's still leaking.

- i found a tiny crack in the lead running to cylinder 1 (where the letter R is):

IMG_6148.jpg

- there might be slight cratering etc. in nr. 1 piston, the white spots i think is just light reflecting back. Unlike with the other pistons i just couldn't get a focused shot of it:

maumlnnaumlt.jpg

What do you think? The car has been running totally smooth without any symptoms, only reason i checked was the failed HC during emissions check. But i'm glad i did.

Edited by Dexter

9 hours ago, Krzys said:

I think the cap and rotor are due to be changed every 3 years anyway. Never seen them look like that before though! 

Really? Never heard this being mentioned anywhere, i always thought they're things that are supposed to last on a Honda. But will be checking them more often definitely from now on.

On 6/6/2016 at 6:33 PM, Dexter said:

Really? Never heard this being mentioned anywhere, i always thought they're things that are supposed to last on a Honda. But will be checking them more often definitely from now on.

I thought so too but it's in the Haynes manual, 3 year or 36,000 miles.

On 10.6.2016 at 1:30 PM, Krzys said:

I thought so too but it's in the Haynes manual, 3 year or 36,000 miles.

Well that's my bible and just flipped through it and can't find this! Only about spark plugs every 3 years. Maybe i'm getting old and blind :D?

On 6/17/2016 at 8:35 PM, Dexter said:

Well that's my bible and just flipped through it and can't find this! Only about spark plugs every 3 years. Maybe i'm getting old and blind :D?

If I remember I'll see if I can find it when I'm home later :)

After searching through my own build thread i realised that's it's been only a bit over 2 years since the rotor and cap were changed. So the only solution i can find for this is that the screw holding the rotor fell out. I replaced it today with a new one with a bit of loctite, let's hope it holds.