R.I.P. Jim. A very sad day for me and for Civic5

Dave

Today is the saddest day ever for me. Our Civic5 moderator and my bestest friend in the world Jim passed away today after a brave fight with cancer. Jim has been my best friend for the last 40 years, and the most genuine, honest and funny guy you could ever meet. He was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago, but kept it away from here as he didn't want a fuss. Lots of you members met him at various Civic5 meets, and those of you who got to know him will know how much he enjoyed the meets and how funny he was.

Civic5 was lucky to have him as a member and moderator, and I have been lucky to have him as a true best friend for all those years. I was with him today when he passed away, holding his hand. I can't even describe how I feel at the moment, I'm just totally devastated.

He was surrounded by family and friends when he passed, which is what he would have wanted. My thoughts right now are with his wife Joanne as they had been together since they were 15 years old, and I can't imagine what she's going through right now. And with his kids David, Kelly and Paul (who has also been at our meets). The loss they have is immense, and my heart goes out to them. We're doing all we can to support them at this heartbreaking time.

I know my life will never be the same again, a huge part of me has gone. It's been hard seeing this illness take hold of him as I'd watched the same thing with my late wife Dawn.

Gayle was with me at the hospital, and know I wouldn't have got through that without her. She's also really upset as she'd got to know Jim really well and loved him to bits, just like I do. It's going to be a really hard thing toi come to terms with.

Due to this, I'm going to be away from civic5 for a while as I need time to get my head together and to help Jims family. I'll call Dave and Sarah (My fellow Admins)  tomorrow and will hand the civic5 helm over to them for the time being if that's ok with them.

RIP Jim, the world lost it's sunshine today but the sky has gained a bright star.

My best friend Jim.jpg

UPDATE: FUNERAL DETAILS.

For anyone wishing to attend, the funeral is being held on Tuesday 21st June, 3PM at Seafield Crematorium Edinburgh. There is a tea being held in Loanhead after the funeral service (details of venue to be confirmed)

• Like 2

• Dave pinned this topic

RIP Jim, you were larger than life and your parting will be felt by so many people! 

I can't imagine how you feel Dave but I understand you needing time away during this difficult period.

• Like 1

Such a great loss, Jim was one of the nicest and genuine guys that i have ever met.

No problems Dave, you know where here for anything thats needed

• Like 3

• Dave unpinned this topic