R.I.P. Jim. A very sad day for me and for Civic5

Dave

Thanks Krzys mate, appreciate that  was speaking to his wife last night and she was saying how much he loved meeting members at the civic5 meets. She used to wind him up saying he wasnt allowed to go, then wait till he called me to say he wasnt going, all down and peed off, then she would spring the haha fooled you on him lol. Gonna be a tough day, will pass on your message mate.

• Like 1

Thanks for the lovely comments guys. For those who couldn't attend, thought I'd give a wee insight into the day. Jim's funeral was, well, massive! Even knowing him as closely as I did, even I didn't realize just how many people loved the big guy. Was a truely amazing turn out. We were at the back of the funeral precession from Jim's house in Mayfield, and it went down to Woodburn and along the street where he was brought up and along the streets we used to play in when we were kids. It then went along the "Whitecraigs" road (a lot of the Scottish meets have taken in this route to get to the first meeting point) which is where Jim and I had our "race track". Many's the day we had fun racing along that road with all it's bends and hairpins (all at the speed limit officers! :) ) . It then went onto the dual carrigeway towards Seafield where the crematorium is. Funny, it was almost like a civic5 meet, with Jim in the lead car and us at the very rear. We were making sure the precession stayed together, moving out to the outside lane to slow traffic when coming to roundabouts to make sure we all stayed together. Felt like I was his wing man, like we both have been for each other all our lives.

The precession then turned in to the big bus depot where he worked, and all the drivers were lined up outside the main building, and alll gave him a salute as he went past. Really did bring a lump to your throat and a tear to our eyes, he was so well thought of.

The funeral service was really different. I had been asked to write a few stories from our past when we were growing up, and so did Joanne. First funeral I've ever been to where the people were all laughing there heads off, even the minister! Just what Jim would have wanted! Although he might have a few things to say to me when I see him on the other side again for embarrassing him!!!! lmao :lol: Even Civic5 was mentioned a lot! One of the stories was about when Gayle, Paul and me were on our way to Japfest and we met Jim in his big bus on the motorway. The antics he pulled that day were hilarious! He'd really wanted to go but couldn't get the time off work, so instead thought it would be a great idea to race DD with a double decker bus!! The looks on his bosses faces when they heard the story was priceless!!!!!

In true Jim style, we went into the funeral to Queen "don't stop me now" and came out to Queen "We will rock you", and at the tea after it there was Queen playing all through the tea. Even at the tea, every table there were people swapping funny stories about him, and it was all fun an laughter. Again, what he would have wanted and captured the spirit of who he was and what he was about.

The world will never be the same again now he's gone, but I'm lucky to have known him, proud to have been his best mate right to the end, and happy to have all these great memories. RIP mate.

• Like 7

• Dave unpinned this topic