Daves new Daily.....MINI Cooper 2nd Gen

Dave

Love it around there, visited when I did the End2End run in the Accord!

Had a similar experience at the weekend, went to Aberystwyth in Bob and the EP3 just cruises down the country lanes at decent speeds without realising! Doesn't help that I enjoy chucking it about too :lol:

• Like 1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/11/2017 at 2:49 PM, Krzys said:

Love it around there, visited when I did the End2End run in the Accord!

Had a similar experience at the weekend, went to Aberystwyth in Bob and the EP3 just cruises down the country lanes at decent speeds without realising! Doesn't help that I enjoy chucking it about too :lol:

one of my favourite places Aberystwyth mate, stunning place. The roads there are amazing! love the idea of just chucking it into 6th and blasting round the bends......mega fun!

12 hours ago, dr_broon said:

Bet that was a lush day! 

Love a bit of accidental country road bashing :D

ohhhh yesss!

13 hours ago, Dave said:

one of my favourite places Aberystwyth mate, stunning place. The roads there are amazing! love the idea of just chucking it into 6th and blasting round the bends......mega fun!

ohhhh yesss!

Yeah there's something about cruising at a set speed and then working to maintain it through the twisties! I guess it hones my cornering technique!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Well, not much to report on Carly as she's been doing the daily duties no problem. Got the rear brakes fixed, then last month the exhaust started blowing. Had thought about a stainless one a few months back but don't have the funds just now which was a bummer. Took her to my local garage who fitted a whole new system from the cat back. They advised me the one they took off seemed to be slightly different, rear box was a smaller bore than should be.

This new one sounds totally different! There's now a kinda deep tone to the exhaust note now once warmed up. And she seems a bit quicker so possibly the old system was restricting her a bit. So although an expense I could have really done without, it's made a nice difference to her.

And then I found out I'd been driving around for ten days with no mot! Was only when the road tax reminder came through I noticed it had no mot stated on it! So put her in, and was doing the usual worrying as I hadn't had time to check her over so thought shed fail for sure. Got the call from garage, all perfect, not even an advisory! All is good in Carly's world.

Also finally got my phone hooked up through the stereo. Bought a phone holder kit that is specific to my phone and also the MINI so it all fits in rock solid. Was going to do a custom secondary head unit install into the wee "secret" compartment in the dash, and control it from an app on my phone, but seeing as I can now play my phone through the original stereo I probably won't have to bother. Which is a bugger cos I've gone and already bought all the custom wiring looms etc!

Still enjoy driving her every day, and have had some fun with other more powerful cars on the really twisty roads around her and loved how she out corners them!

• Like 1

Oh, and got a massive result with the insurance renewal! Aviva quoted me £382 (one off payment or £420 paying it monthly) which I thought was stupidly high. Searched online and got it with 1st direct for only £279 (and that's paying monthly!) plus comes with courtesy car, breakdown cover legal cover. None of which came with Aviva. Well happy with that!

• 1 month later...

Poked off! Went to change front brake pads, and when tightening the caliper bolrs (using my torque wrench, which is about 30 yrs old!) Got to last one on the top sliding pin and bloody torque wrench failed to click and stop. Result? One bloody sheared off caliper bolt. Now car is off road until i can get her booked in to get fixed. Be a very slow, careful drive to garage. Bloody gutted! And more expense that i aint got the funds to spare for. Dd going back into service, although hate leaving her in the car park at work. Mini got thumped there by hit and run. Oh, and DDs mot runs out saturday! Ffs!

Good old DD comes to the rescue ........pity the bolt snapped but such is the way with all things mechanical.

A quick round of golf with the Bank Manager should see you right.

4 hours ago, Gel said:

Good old DD comes to the rescue ........pity the bolt snapped but such is the way with all things mechanical.

A quick round of golf with the Bank Manager should see you right.

Lol tell me bout it! Going back out to garage to jack her back up and try and get the caliper off. After thinking about it last night, think I should be able to just take the sliding pin out as that should be where the snapped bolt is screwed into, not the caliper carrier itself. Hoping to either get the remaining bit of bolt out or if need be just replace the sliding pins (which are called guides on the mini for some reason!)

And their is a god! Got the caliper off, and the pin removed. After much perssuasion the offending broken bolt is out!!!! Well happy. Just need a bolt now! :ohyeees:

• Like 1