Daves new Daily.....MINI Cooper 2nd Gen

Dave

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:23 PM, Dave said:

And their is a god! Got the caliper off, and the pin removed. After much perssuasion the offending broken bolt is out!!!! Well happy. Just need a bolt now! :ohyeees:

All's well that ends well :car1:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

So, little update on Carly. Christmas Eve I was out delivering cards that I'd forgot about! Quite a lengthy trip, but after delivering final card the rear brakes decided to give up again! Pads down to metal, rear calipers binding and now seized again!! Decided this time that enough was enough, those rears were getting replaced (garage rebuilt them last time which was less that a year ago!) 

Got new calipers but again Carly proved stubborn! Couldn't get Flexi hose off the caliper so had to put her back together and take her down to my usual garage for them to heat up the flexi to get it off. New calipers fitted but they didn't have time to bleed the brakes. 

So, on 3rd January Gayle and me got her all jacked up and bled the brakes ourselves. Putting car back together and got to last wheel nut. I'd previously felt out of breath/bit faint about 5 mins before fitting wheel. Went to tighten last wheel nut and bang, I had a heart attack!!!

Can't believe it!! Got rushed into hospital where a team were waiting at the door an took me straight into theatre (no decent films showing!) 

Got a blood clot removed and two stents fitted. Now recovering slowly, but finding it hard to take in! Only just back driving, so pleased to say Carly's brakes are now perfect! Just as bloody well! Lol

So glad Gayle was with me working in the garage, if she hadn't been there the ambulance staff/ hospital recon I wouldn't be here now! So massive thanks to Gayle for spotting what was happening and getting the ambulance straight away.

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I updated this. Now almost recovered from the heart attack I can confirm that the actual attack was the easy bit! How it affects you/what you can do and how long it takes to get back to normal is the hardest and most frustrating part. But hey ho, I'm nearly there and hoping to start back to work next week. Have also been restricted to what I can do on the cars since it happened but finally getting back to almost normal on that front too. Just takes me a bit longer than it used to!

So, not a lot been happening in Carly's world apart from her daily duties. Has been driving great, no probs. Today, had her in for the dreaded MOT..............................which she passed again with flying colours. Not even a single advisory. MOT guy also commented that she was really really clean, perfect wee car.

Really pleased! Had thought about maybe trading her in as I've had her over 3 years now (I think) but as she's had such a clean bill of health we'll be keeping wee Carly!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

So I've gone and done it. Sold Carly tonight cry.gif1 Know there aren't many here who rate/like the MINI, but I can honestly say, hand on heart she was one of the best cars I've ever owned. Didn't want to sell here, but as you may have read in DD's thread for various reasons I'm having to cut back on my collection of cars due to trying to find a new house in the country. We can't find one that can house all my cars so I'm having to sell off Carly, and possibly Mindy my mk1 mx5. DD has now been put into service full time as my daily car for now. Plan is (Hopefully) I'll buy a newer MX5 as a daily runner (with folding har top) and DD will then return to snooze in a garage of which I don't actually know what type of garage it will be!

If plans change, I may keep Mindy and just use DD as the permanent daily, although I really don't want to drive her all year round.

Can't believe wee Carly Cooper is gone (sold to a guy at my work for his wife). As a daily she was perfect, cheap to tax, cheap to insure, great on fuel, mega fun to drive with enough power to have a blast. And dare I say it, the absolute best handling car I've ever driven. Driving home from work today for the last time (I always come home on the back roads which are great fun!) I really thought to myself why the hell am I selling this!!! Then leaving her at my workmates and going home was really hard. Can't believe I've worked up a similar relationship with her that I had with Ruby. Got DD all ready for her daily duties, but just know I'm gonna miss Carly so much.

So, time to bring her thread to a close....... bye bye Carly, love ya and miss ya x cry.gif1bye.gif1

Dave,  I know how difficult it is to part with a car that has grown on you but move on we must.

Recently, I toyed around with the idea of leasing a Cooper-S.....had a great time dreaming about such a potent pocket rocket but once reality set in I wen't off Mini's i.e. I'm too old for super taut suspension set-up's and the known reliability issues.

I did test drive a Cooper and a Cooper-S......gotta say the Cooper was a beautiful car to drive whereas the S was far too choppy for City driving....again I think it's an age related thing.....lol

Bye bye Carly 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 8:26 AM, Gel said:

Dave,  I know how difficult it is to part with a car that has grown on you but move on we must.

Recently, I toyed around with the idea of leasing a Cooper-S.....had a great time dreaming about such a potent pocket rocket but once reality set in I wen't off Mini's i.e. I'm too old for super taut suspension set-up's and the known reliability issues.

I did test drive a Cooper and a Cooper-S......gotta say the Cooper was a beautiful car to drive whereas the S was far too choppy for City driving....again I think it's an age related thing.....lol

Bye bye Carly 

Agree Gerry, I found the Cooper has just enough power to have good fun with but still manage amazing mpg, cheap tax and insurance into the bargain. Carly was stiff compared to MINI One's, but deffo not too harsh. Really missing that wee car!!

On 10/15/2019 at 7:51 PM, dr_broon said:

It's a shame you had to let her go, but as you say, needs must. 

Just have to think about the opportunities it opens up, and remember the mini fondly. 

Yup, will do Simon, she was one of the best cars I've owned from and "all-round" point of view. Slowly getting used to driving DD every day, feels strange as normally she only comes out for a run then tucked away again, but using every day and being my only car (well, my daily anyway, still got Mindy for now although that might be changing very soon!) feels very odd!. Do enjoy driving her but also find it a bit stressful seeing her getting dirty, and hate leaving her parked anywhere. Oh, and to cap it all, kerbed a bloody alloy today! Not happy! aggressive.gif1

• Like 1
  • Sad 1