Clutch replacing - worth it?

m0l0t0v

So my clutch has started slipping. Still driveable but certainly noticeable if I've just gone up a hill or gone a bit spirited/hard on the clutch.

Now, I've downloaded the manual and have a Haynes guide. I'm pretty handy, having done all the work on motorbikes (clutch, etc) and have a certain amount of tools.

My only question is how involved is it? Do I need to take the whole engine out, any special tools (and how much they cost), what clutch do I go for, anything else worth checking/doing while I do the clutch, etc.

Basically want to know anything there is know.

It's a '98 mb3 with over 130k on the clock. It's higher, I just never pay attention to how much higher.

I know it's possible to buy a new mb3 but there's the hassle of insurance and then cancelling and then taking out a new policy with the new car. And tbh. I'm kinda using this mb3 as a guinea pig for when I hopefully get an mb6 later on and I've perfected everything I want to do.

Won't mind having the car in bits for 3 days if need be.

And would I need help from someone else or doable as one man army?

I would say just an OEM or OE clutch will do. Gearbox off but you don't need to take the engine out.

I would imagine you could do it on your own in a single day. I don't believe you need any special tools.

• Like 1

It's not too bad to do. Takes me about 4 hours on axle stands. One in one out. 

Give yourself a whole day first time.  Should get it done. Only nuts and bolts hey.

Exedy make good value replacement clutches.

• Like 1