S9B bearing noise

Alastor

Hello everybody, it seems that some of my S9B shafts bearings is getting bad.

The transmission started to give out a "weeeeen" while accelerating...at first it was in 5th gear at about 100 km/h, then it started to do the same in 1st and 2nd, now also 3rd  and 4th are beginning.

My intention would be to replace the bearings now, without waiting for a further aggravation of the noise.

My question: is this kit OK for the S9B? 

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/select-car/honda/ek/drivetrain/mfactory-synchrotech-bearing-and-seal-kit-94-01-honda-integra-b16-hydro.html   

the S9B/MB series is not in the fitment list, but I guess that it should fit. 

Alternatively, can you suggest some other online shop (maybe with lower prices)?

Thank you :) 

Positive Will be fine. 

Possible diff bearings are different between boxes but doesn't look like there included anyway.

But just to confirm why not email or telephone the supplier?

i had this bearing noise in every gear. first it was only noticable in 1st and 2nd, then got louder in months and heard in every gear while accelerating.

My problem was the differential bearings. And they costs around 160 gbp, here in hungary. they are special slim, but strong bearings and copyrighted by Honda... So the only source to buy them was Honda. not even an SKF or others...

• 3 weeks later...

This is also possible.

But are you speaking about those bearings? If yes, they seem affordable with less than 160 gbp. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-HONDA-DIFFERENTIAL-BEARINGS-DC2-B18C-EK9-B16B-/162102811303?hash=item25be149aa7:g:LzEAAOSwI3RW-ZK2

Moreover, although they are described as correct for the LSD gearboxes, I see that they are conventional ball bearings, not tapered bearings as shown in the S9B workshop manual. Will they fit? :blink:

That's what I'm not sure about.

Some diff have that bearing. Others have taper needle bearing. Sure the box case is the same throughout versions. 

Google suggests that s9b LSD is the same LSD used in the s80 boxes etc. So quite possible the bearings are the same fitment then.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, ok it's time to fix the problem. 

To be honest, I got more than 5000 km from july to date, the noise is still there but apparently it's not worsening...it's annoying, but it's probably not turning in a true failure. 

Nevertheless, I bought the car to enjoy its drive and therefore I would want to fix it anyway...after some surveys through the net I identified the following options:

1 - OEM Bearings are tapered roller bearings 91005-P80-003. Pros: safe fitment Cons: about 200€ for the complete set.

2 - Alternatively, according to a lot of people around the world, it is also possible to convert the gearbox to the ball-bearing design, by getting the 91005-P80-E31. Functionally equivalent, far easier to find and far cheaper too (less than 100€), but they need specific shimming and I'm not able to find the right shim kit. 

3 - Morover: Syncrotech from USA is offering a specific (and also cheap) conversion kit http://shop.synchrotech-transmissions.com/Differential-Ball-Bearing-Conversion-Kit-ITR-GSR-BITRC.htm which comes complete with the preload shims that, according to the manufacturer, "fit in most cases (90%)". The risk here is to fall in the 10% case where a more specific shimming is required, and then to have the car stopped while searching for the right shim.  

In the end I'm probably going for option 1...any suggestion (or more convenient shops)?

Thanks! 

:)