Clutch? Gearbox? Lots of money?

kw94

Question

Hi guys, over the last week or so my gearbox/clutch has started to feel a bit odd... :(

1. When stationary with the engine off it goes into each gear fine with or without using the clutch.
  2. When stationary with the engine running it goes into each gear fine using the clutch 99% of the time.
  3. When driving at any speed it sometimes struggles to change up or down a gear, it feels like you have to force it in and sometimes you even get a nice crunch! But sometimes you can't even get it to crunch into gear, it just feels solid.. 

I've been and spoken to the mechanic I usually use and he thinks the clutch and all synchromesh rings need replacing/gearbox rebuild and it'll easily be well over £1000 (oh the joys!). 

I've also spoken to two Vauxhall master tech's that I know and they both think it's just the clutch because it's VERY unlikely that all the synchromesh rings would go at the same time? I know MB6's have a bit of a reputation for the sychnromesh going on the lower gears which can cause a similar problem, but mine does it on every gear so that makes me think it's not the synchromesh?

The clutch is heavy and the biting point is really low but it's been like that for the last 80,000 miles (it's been bled numerous times and it's made no difference at all), it doesn't slip at all and pulls like a train in every gear. The car's done just shy of 152,000 miles, and it's still on the original clutch so it wouldn't surprise me if it is just the clutch that needs replacing, but before I go and throw even more ££££ at the car/mechanic, has anybody got any ideas? 

Cheers! 

I had a new clutch set, a good one... Aisin... did around 2000 kms and it was faulty :\ disengaged half sided. so it was an expensive 2k km clutch set :D got a Sachs set now (exedy in the box), and new differential bearings (very expensive pair of bearings for s9b :D). I hope i wont have any problem with the transmission in the next 1-2 years :)

s9b is an expensive thing :\

£360 later..... IT'S FIXED!! applause.gif1 

Then drove it straight back to my usual garage and booked it in for an upper suspension arm and lower ball joint in a couple of days time, nice cheap week for me haha! Oh, and my insurance is up for renewal at the end of the month too... :mellow:

• Like 1