vtis race project

Vtisgilman

7 hours ago, VTISTURBO said:

Any ideas on the amount of weight removed at all please?

Not really sure at the moment, I'm removing bits all the time and haven't weighed all of it. I had the car weighed a few years ago when it was a standard whole car and it was 1220kg. I would guess from the stuff I did weigh when removed and estimating the rest I recon iv taken out about 115kg. I'll go down the scrap yard at some point and get it weighed again before the cage goes in as I imagine that will be heavy 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vtisgilman said:

Not really sure at the moment, I'm removing bits all the time and haven't weighed all of it. I had the car weighed a few years ago when it was a standard whole car and it was 1220kg. I would guess from the stuff I did weigh when removed and estimating the rest I recon iv taken out about 115kg. I'll go down the scrap yard at some point and get it weighed again before the cage goes in as I imagine that will be heavy 

Cool, thanks. What stuff did you weigh that you took out? I'm about to strip mine out and i'm wondering how far i should go. trying to lose half a second on my 100-200kph time so im hoping i can possibly do almost 100kg?

• Like 1

Most of the stuff I weighed was the easy stuff, like seats, doorcards, speakers, stuff that came out easy. I pulled out two buckets worth of sound deadening but forgot to weigh that as I was so relived when I'd finished as it's a pain to remove. Once you remove to easy stuff it gets hard to remove more weight. Making new wing mirrors saved 2 kg, removing all the glass, window mechanisms, locks and cutting out the door skin saved about 10kg. Saved about 4kg removing the 5 engine mounts and replacing with 3 solid ones. I'm at the stage now where it takes a lot of effort to remove only 1 or 2 kg but do it all over the car and it adds up 

• Like 1

The electric sun roof was really heavy and it's a lot of weight at the highest part of the car so that was a great one to remove. I blanked the hole off with a sheet of 1mm alloy rivited and glued in place which weighed next to nothing. 

• 4 weeks later...

So was washing my other car few weeks back and looked back into the garage and noticed how grubby looking the civic was. I realised iv not even washed it for about a year and the grill was covered in stone chips and the filler had cracked. One of the headlights had really fogged over aswell so though it was time for a bit of a face lift. 

Pulled the headlights and grill off my spare car and set to work. DSC_0415.JPG.b352030b30b82354dd1b3e8637901a59.JPG

Old grill looking haggard DSC_0423.JPG.acc26526693a78d4f92da326ca9aadaf.JPG

Foggy and clear.

• Like 1

Decided to keep the Honda badge this time but wanted less plastic so cut out either side of the H. DSC_0413.JPG.ac6ace2ccf518e76177b189c6ca9951d.JPG

All the plastic cut out and sanded ready for paint. Doing the wipers aswell as they had gone back to bare metal in places DSC_0414.JPG.ca97d501e8b92750c66fedd1bd67c1bf.JPG

Forgot to take pics of it in primer but the process was 2 coats of acid etch on the chrome and 3 of plastic primer on the rest. Finished with 4 coats of gloss black. I did the wipers in gloss black Hammerite spray as that stuff is pretty indestructible.