vtis race project

Vtisgilman

Hello everyone.

Thought I would share with you my new project. I used to have a project thread a few years ago but cant seem to log on to my old account and cant find my project anywhere so thought id just start a new one seeing as the car in now going in different direction .

What started a few years ago as a bit of an all rounder and leaning more towards show car has now turned into a dedicated track and race car. My goal is to spend this year getting my race licence and preparing my car to enter the track attack Nippon challenge next march. This year is currently running at the moment so will be going to watch a few races and hopefully meet a few of the drivers.

I have nearly all the parts for a big turbo setup which i was going to fit this summer but now i want to race im going to hold off on this as it would put me in the very competitive GT400 series. By leaving the engine standard ill be entering the GT200 series which for a novice i will be much more suited for. If all goes well and i re enter the year after ill build the engine and fit the turbo and go for the bigger leagues. For now its all about just getting into racing and having fun.

Obviously seeing as it’s a racing series the car has to be built to the MSA blue book regulations which is what im working my way through at the moment. The project which im doing in my spare time has only just started and iv got plenty of time between now and next march to get the car built and tested on track days so i am taking my time.  I don’t want to make any stupid mistakes either as the regulations are quite strict and im still learning.

Any advice from anyone who does track days a lot or is involved in motorsport in any way would be much appreciated.

Any way here is a few pics of how it stands now.

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

• Like 1

So far iv built some custom aero, diffuser, canards and rear diffuser /under spoiler.

Im in the process of removing as much weight as possible. There is not much left inside to remove apart from all the sound deadening and the heavy full leather seat. I will get a heated windscreen then i can remove the last parts from under the dash, heater, fan and all the associated vent gubbins. All the AC is already gone and soon to go will be the power steering and ABS.

Here is a few old photos so you can see a bit of the old project       

this was just after the respray in audi white.

DSC00603.JPG

DSC00604.JPG

DSC00567.JPG

DSC00569.JPG

DSC00570.JPG

DSC00571.JPG

DSC00572.JPG

DSC00600.JPG

DSC00601.JPG

DSC00602.JPG

Pics of the suspension set up. To keep the front geometry in the correct place after lowering it I fitted extended ball joints to the hubs and removed 22mm from the top of the hub and welded it back together. So even though the car is a lot lower its kept the handling as it should be. you can see in one pic before i did this the camber arm used to hit the top of the strut tower.    

DSC00637.JPG

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC00624.JPG

• Like 1

This was when i had a nice interior. Re trimmed the head lining, flocked pillars, full leathers and black door cards, leather gater with white stitching, few stickers and painted the trim. Bit of a waste of time and money really but nice while it lasted.  

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC00669.JPG

DSC00671.JPG

DSC00672.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

On 7/20/2016 at 1:32 PM, UnicyclingTom said:

sex spec to track car?

has someone been watching MCM? ;)

Ha ha you gotta love those guys. Some videos are actually pretty usefully to. 

Not much of an update at the moment, mainly been organising parts and reading up on all the MSA regulations to make sure I don't do anything to the car that's not allowed. Got a Ricky evens motorsport heated windscreen on order so the rest of the gubbins under the dash can be removed with a nice little on off switch for the screen instead off all the fan, boxes and vent mechanisms. Also nearly finalised the specs for one of the three biggest expenses I will have to face and this is the one im also most exited about to get on the car. Hopefully I'll be able to show you within the next few weeks. 

This weekend is going to be removing all the sound deadening, so lots of fun :(

1 hour ago, JK1245 said:

Damn, looks freaking epic dude. Have you any idea what it weighs gutted as I'm toying with the idea of a track mb6?

Thanks mate. Iv got no idea what sort of weight it will be, looking forward to finding out myself. It was weighed at 1220kg before I started. Once its done I'll get it weighed again. The race I'm entering has a minimum weight of 1060kg including driver and fuel. Probably won't be able to get it that light by the time it's got a cage in it. I'll be happy with 1150kg including me and fuel. 

• Like 1