Gearbox setup for racing

Vtisgilman

Hi folks, just looking for some input for my gearbox set up to go in my track car. I have to leave the engine standard so want to make best use of the power avaliable. I'm looking for the shortest gearbox avaliable which I hear is a s80, 4.7 final drive with 4th and 5th from s4c. Think it has LSD aswell but not sure. Will also be fitting uprated clutch and lightened flywheel. Going to remove the power steering aswell to give me back the small amount of power it takes to run. Anyone know if there is a better gearbox I should be looking at and what I can do to improve it remembering it will be used for racing. Is there also anything else people can think of to get the most out of the engine and improve reliability? 

Thanks 

For most of what you need to know for bseries gear ratios look here 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/temp/Bgears.htm&ved=0ahUKEwjMkqyS8IzOAhXmCMAKHfKjCM4QFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNGZ6y6NRahoriA0XDCaanXxHEOU-Q

And if you want aftermarket stuff, team mfactory have loads of options. 

Thanks for the good info guys. Got magnacore leads already and sorted intake side. Regs say I can't decat so be a fast flow one then. Earth leads are good idea, I'll make some big ones. 

According to that chart the shortest would be S1/J1 with s80 final drive and LSD from our box. Although a bit pricey a s80 seems easier to find and already has LSD so going to get one of them as a starting point. I can see how it feels on track then start changing bits as needed. 

As said above mate the 4.7 S80 with the S4c 4th and 5th is very nice and short, and when coupled with a lightweight flywheel, the C4 really does rip through the gears. As for getting more power and reliability, it really depends on what your class restrictions are. If you're looking for 200+ I would look at getting a set of cams and uprated valve springs/retainers once you've done the usual I/H/E bolt ons and a map. Also mate if you've not got yourself a set of wheels yet I would recommend a set of proper lightweight wheels, they made a huge difference to mine  

My class is max 200 hp and min weight of 1060kg. Iv got a set of 17 inch team dynamic pro race 1.2 alloys, will be able to fit nice big breaks under them. Think I will be going for the 4th 5th from s4c at some point. Going to get the box in with the new clutch and light flywheel first and do some track time. With few bolt ons and map think it probably get about 180 hp ish which is fine for my first season. Don't want to spend to much on engine yet as I have a big turbo kit to fit for the following year when I will be doing a proper build. For now it's get it reliable on normal power and get some experience in the lower classes. 

Iv actually found a guy selling a rebuilt s80 with s4c 4th and 5th. Iv asked for proof of the rebuild and if it still has the cereal numbers on it. He wants £750. Seems a bit expensive or is that about rite? 

S80s do attract a premium (one of the reasons i got a type r final drive in my s9b).

I suppose that once you factor in cost of getting the other gears from the s4c, then either cost or hassle of fitting, and it doesn't seem bad (especially if it has been restored).  I'm sure the last time i was looking (good few years ago now though) s80s were going for about £600... Others might have a more up to date idea though. 

I worked out getting the box the gears and someone to build it and check over it  was about the same money, getting this one already done would just be less hassle. Think he might be dodgy though, was replying to me straight away when talking money but when I asked for proof and cereal numbers from the case he stopped replying and not herd since. Probably be safer do get it done myself, know what I get then. 

That seems like a very decent price for a rebuilt S80 with shorter 4th and 5th. What was the guys name btw as I bought mine off someone whose selling one similar to what you're describing and mine was well and truly fecked but advertised as being mint.