Huey Headgasket and the Seals

Finch

So as a few of you may know, I'm swapping to a K Series (Honda K20A, Not a Rover!) engine in the next few months with parts being stockpiled as we speak.

I noticed last night a bubbling coming from the overflow tank after a pretty good day weather wise here in the M̶i̶d̶l̶a̶  Outer Mongolia... but ignored it, checked levels of fluids etc not much lower than last time I checked but put this down to the bubbling caused by the car running hot (can't rely on the temp gauge, its never really worked right since day 1 of owning the car but I'm not that bothered with the planned engine swap). Fast-forward to today, set out for my journey to work (45mins) and no warm air at all, by the time I got about 10mins out of the yak herding village I work in I heard the bubbling again and then a hissing noise. Fans are all kicked in no issues there, ran heater on hot but it was icy cold.

Once I got to work I popped bonnet and noticed I had burbling in the expansion/overflow and there was the dreaded steam coming from just below the head.. I honestly don't want to f**k around taking heads off, changing gaskets and such for at most 3 weeks so I pose this question to You, Have You ever used anything in the regions of Steel Seal, Engine Seal by MCP or anything that will allow me to use the car for a couple of weeks at very very most?. I tried Barrs stop leak after hitting a badger in Dorset once while driving the Micra, stopped a bit of a leak enough to get me home but nothing enough to seal a headgasket as far as I can remember. On the upside of things Steel Seal offers a "Money Back guarantee" which is always a bonus but its £40 a bottle!! :huh: 

Like I said I really don't want to be f**king around changing gaskets if the engines gonna be binned or stuck on fleabay in a months time being replaced by a K20!

My classic subaru had a hair line crack in the block found this out after replacing the radiator and the water pump and was still leaking water. So bought some k seal put it in and ran it for 5 weeks :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dogg1210 said:

My classic subaru had a hair line crack in the block found this out after replacing the radiator and the water pump and was still leaking water. So bought some k seal put it in and ran it for 5 weeks :)

I used to work in a motorfactors we carried all the major brands k-seal, barrs but luckily never needed one. This car has done just over 182k on the stock gaskets and stuff so I think its seen its fair share of time being thrashed (not me, honest  :rolleyes:). I'm gonna go get one tomorrow and hope it'll hold for another couple weeks until I can get a weekend free to take out the engine!

On 16/08/2016 at 6:53 PM, dogg1210 said:

If it can get me to and from work for a couple weeks, that's all I need!

• 1 month later...

I've read people on the mercedes board use K-Seal to good effect. I would try and get it all in the engine though, not just the header tank e.g undo top hose and pour in there after syphoning some coolant out.

3 hours ago, EdGasket said:

I've read people on the mercedes board use K-Seal to good effect. I would try and get it all in the engine though, not just the header tank e.g undo top hose and pour in there after syphoning some coolant out.

I cracked the block due to wrong head bolts being sent to me about 2 weeks ago, swapped to a new engine, I used K-seal was pretty p**s poor tbh.

7 hours ago, Finch said:

I cracked the block due to wrong head bolts being sent to me about 2 weeks ago, swapped to a new engine, I used K-seal was pretty p**s poor tbh.

I had a cracked block on subaru and put k seal in and it was fine 

3 minutes ago, dogg1210 said:

I had a cracked block on subaru and put k seal in and it was fine 

Yeah seems to be a mixed review on K-seal, few people say its done wonders other people say they don't rate it. It was OK, but it didn't really seem to do much, I ended up sticking bars seal stuff in and that helped more