Finch's Double D's

Finch

IMG_20161001_111457.jpg

Got around to stripping it down today, car couldn't be rolled anywhere and I needed to get it done. It started p*ssing down as soon as I started at 10am this morning. Jacked the car up and stuck it on stands dropped mounts, unbolted everything and dropped it down leaving gearbox where it was on mounts (with a screw driver where bolt was..)

After 3-4 hours I separated the engine/gearbox, the fork was well and truly forking stuck. I spent about 40-55minutes to get it to catch and release the clutch. Had to call my grandad to bring a pry bar/crow bar to the house, only had a screw driver! But after I did the seperation of the box it was plane sailing, dropped the engine and slid it out on its side

Sumo squatted the short block (bar the head) to the back of the car to pull the parts I wanted off my block for the new one.

IMG_20161001_151509.jpg

Stripped rocker off new engine and its clean as a whistle inside looks brand new, the belt is an OE one and is brand new and non-pourous so even though I have a new kit I won't be using it right now

The engine is actually a manual so it had a clutch already but I wasn't sure how much wear and tear it had had so pulled it off and compared it with the new one

IMG_20161001_163618.jpg

Clutch that I got was an ADL blueprint, but its about 20mm bigger one so thats strike 2 for the parts supplier sending the incorrect parts off VIN now however the original Honda (Nissin OE) one and is barely broken in so with a wirebrushing on the housing I'll be good, so tomorrow I'll be putting it back on

Put new ADL oil filter and NGK plugs in ready so tomorrow I can just get it all be dropped in and done.

The block looks a bit dirty but It has been sat a long time. I'll clean it all up after I've got it in but that's at the very back of my mind, I just want a running engine now!!

While I'm under there tomorrow I'll also be changing the shifter for a K-Tuned Circuit Sport short shifter that's arrived this morning :D I've got some other bits on order including new kn*b

IMG-20161001-WA0002.jpeg

I'm going to replace all the aux belts tomorrow while I'm building the block back up in the car, I'm removing the AC system (I already vented it.. Responsibly :ph34r:) I took the condenser, pump and one hose out now just need to remove the other one now!

Now I'm going to bed, I'm utterly knackered and going to do it all again tomorrow!

• Like 2

So everything bar exhaust and shafts are in. I expected to be clever and just drop the engine leaving the box in place, after about 2 hours d**king around I finally conceded and dropped the box and pulled shafts out.

Slid the box out on its side, lined up clutch, bolted it all up, got my neighbour and dad to give me a hand getting it to the front of the car (it was in the boot :rolleyes:) I slid it under on its side on a plastic wheely bin lid liberated from the house 2 doors down (put it back after) and rotated it onto it's side. This is where the fun started.

I had to lower the car on it's axle stands from highest it would go to it's default setting, now.. Not easy with a sh*te halfrauds jack and stands! I had to lock the car up with a scissor jack to get the halfrauds under to get the axle stands out. Now I had to do this with a busy road and limited space lying in the road!

5 mins and multiple expletives later it was down, I rolled the jack to under the engine and got the two old farts to lift enough so that I could slide the jack under the sump to lift up, we dropped the bolts in with some persuasion from a copper hide and a blunt grind chizel to straighten the mounting rubbers out as they were all over the shop.

Bolted the gearbox and engine up, dropped the gear linkages back on and started to wiz through everything, as that happened my helpers disappeared to the pub leaving me to fend for myself.

B******s!

I'll be sticking up some photos and dropping everything back on that's left off tomorrow.

My Dad says I'll never want to work on the car again, but what he doesn't know is that I have new mounts and a bunch of other parts coming this month...

The story continues!

• Like 4

So after 2 days of f**kery, I was messing around trying to figure out why I had no spark. First stage I found out I had the knock sensor unplugged :rolleyes: and the then I monitored the rotor arm and noticed it wasn't spinning. I pulled it off to find the two cam prongs were snapped off. SO I headed out for my local breakers which my neighbor works on and found an EG3 civic, pulled off the dizzy and headed home. I bolted it all up, went it perfect and then I came to plug it in... turns out I picked up a 5 pin 2 plug dizzy.. mine had a 7 pin 2 plug connector :-|

I headed to a few other places, found a guy on Gumtree with a car a few miles down the road, and went to see the car. I found out he had an Aerodeck for sale too. £300 later and I agreed to take her home tomorrow - A 1.6 VTEC Deck' with elec windows and a sun roof!

$_86 (1).JPG

$_86 (2).JPG

$_86 (3).JPG$_86.JPG$_86 (4).JPG$_86 (6).JPG

I'll be giving her a clean up; she needs a good clean, her paint on the bonnet has a lacquer peel but say hello to Blue, Black Betty's bigger younger sisterMaking this a 2 car build thread

$_86 (5).JPG

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, UnicyclingTom said:

Welcome to the cool kids club!  :D

A Y reg too! Last of the line! 

Quick question you might know the answer to... does the VTI/S kit fit the deck? I've promised myself I'll not modify it too much.. but I know deep down I will. so I'm going for OEM+ for now... 

51 minutes ago, 3gdean said:

yeh all the kit fits

s**t luck, glad you're getting it sorted, think you should join the boosted deck club.....

Well I'd started ordering turbo bits for the MB, maybe a fast deck' is a better idea :D