Fuel, Gauge, Tank, Range & co.

Alastor

Hi, one strange problem...

My MC2 fuel consumption is of about 11-12 km/l (something less than 34 mpg), for an average range of about 430-450 km or 270-300 miles. This means that, at each refuel, I put about 40 l into the tank...and also in the most desperate cases when I thought to be really out of fuel, with the gauge pointer less than horizontal, I never succeeded to put in more than 41-42 lt (11 gallons)...

Is this normal or my fuel gauge has some problem? The car datasheet claims for a "huge" 55 lt fuel tank, but I really can't see where this volume would be...  

1 hour ago, Alastor said:

Hi, one strange problem...

My MC2 fuel consumption is of about 11-12 km/l (something less than 34 mpg), for an average range of about 430-450 km or 270-300 miles. This means that, at each refuel, I put about 40 l into the tank...and also in the most desperate cases when I thought to be really out of fuel, with the gauge pointer less than horizontal, I never succeeded to put in more than 41-42 lt (11 gallons)...

Is this normal or my fuel gauge has some problem? The car datasheet claims for a "huge" 55 lt fuel tank, but I really can't see where this volume would be...  

What engine do you have in the car? When was the car serviced last? Was the fuel filter done at that same time? I would do a full service including fuel filter, fill the tank to the maximum and then put a fuel cleaner/injector cleaner in the car something like Lucas and run the car hard. While you're there doing the service take the battery off for an hour and let the ecu reset too it will relearn the correct fuel ratio etc.

other than that you can get a obd scanner and check for any errors

5 hours ago, UnicyclingTom said:

i get between 250 and 350 before needing to fill up (depending on driving conditions,IAB play time and roof rack), even when mine is under the line i only seem to get at the most 50ltrs in.

so yes, it's normal(ish) and yes the MA/MB/MC's have a 55ltr tank.

OK, so this theoretically means that I can run up to 350 miles before really risking something...I will verify it soon (I will keep a fuel can in the trunk, in the doubt... :lol:)  

• Like 1

Yes indeed I managed to squeeze 54l into the tank the other week. Got 380 miles out of it with a good 20-30 min play with a Jordan and ST. The gauges on these cars are pretty awful though, depending on if I'm driving up hill or down hill I'll have more/less petrol.