Clutch recommendations And reviews

Shawn2ace

Hi guys, 

So my gears started becoming harder to change lately, and there's been some strange whining noises in between certain gears. My mechanic has advised me that the Release bearing in the clutch might be the cause. So instead of changing the bearing, I'm thinking of getting a whole new clutch kit while I'm at it, and after some ebay and forum browsing I've seen alot of Brands such as the famous Exedy and other brands that I don't recognize such as CG Motorsports, Black diamond, and so on. I'm maybe considering getting a Competition stage 2 clutch since I'm always burning through my current (high revs)  (also probably the cause of my current situation). 

So any of you guys have experience with clutches that can advise me on a good one to get?

Shouldn't really need a high performance clutch on the D14 unless it's boosted dude. I'd also recommend OEM/Excedy but no harm in going for a stronger clutch but it can be a bitch driving with one. 

13 hours ago, JK1245 said:

Shouldn't really need a high performance clutch on the D14 unless it's boosted dude. I'd also recommend OEM/Excedy but no harm in going for a stronger clutch but it can be a bitch driving with one. 

My current clutch is already rather hard but my problem is I've gotten used to it, I really don't want to switch back to those soft clutches. I'm not looking for track tier clutches really, just something street tier maybe? If not I'll consider OEM after all

Yeah same here bud, my clutch is an RPC stage 2 and it's perfect apart from pulling off when you get a bit of chatter from it. Around £210 for the stage 2 and £170 for the stage 1. Good bit of kit and no problems so far

7 hours ago, JK1245 said:

Yeah same here bud, my clutch is an RPC stage 2 and it's perfect apart from pulling off when you get a bit of chatter from it. Around £210 for the stage 2 and £170 for the stage 1. Good bit of kit and no problems so far

I found them, RPC sounds quite good, thanks. I think I might get the stage 1 after all. I haven't boosted the engine yet, but I have some engine mods planned.

• Like 1

So after much more research I've found that the 1.4 engines require a larger flywheel I think (212mm) compared to 1.5 or 1.6 engine.

It would seem like that specific clutch flywheel in a kit is also rarer, making my options smaller. Might have to settle for the exedy kit, or some shady ebay kit after all. 

4 hours ago, Shawn2ace said:

So after much more research I've found that the 1.4 engines require a larger flywheel I think (212mm) compared to 1.5 or 1.6 engine.

It would seem like that specific clutch flywheel in a kit is also rarer, making my options smaller. Might have to settle for the exedy kit, or some shady ebay kit after all. 

I ran into a bunch of issues with my latest swap, changed to the exact same engine code as the previous engine, when I came to do a clutch change I found I'd been sent a clutch that was much different than the one on the engine, I did some searching and found there was 2-3 variations just dizzy models then there was the coilpack variants on top to deal with!!

36 minutes ago, Finch said:

I ran into a bunch of issues with my latest swap, changed to the exact same engine code as the previous engine, when I came to do a clutch change I found I'd been sent a clutch that was much different than the one on the engine, I did some searching and found there was 2-3 variations just dizzy models then there was the coilpack variants on top to deal with!!

Yes it would seem there's quite a few Kits just for the D-series engines. The exedy catalog seemed rather promising and straight to the point, and using the information they give me, I'm doing my searches. What differences did you encounter?

• Like 1