Clutch recommendations And reviews

Shawn2ace

59 minutes ago, Shawn2ace said:

Yes it would seem there's quite a few Kits just for the D-series engines. The exedy catalog seemed rather promising and straight to the point, and using the information they give me, I'm doing my searches. What differences did you encounter?

I ordered an ADL clutch and then the one that arrived was about 15mm wider all round on the disc which is no biggy but the pressure plate was about 5mm wider and even if that wasn't the case it would sit too far forward as it was a few mm deeper than the one I took off (both engines I had on the ground!) ended up with reusing the one off the new engine as it was near perfect anyway (engine only has 25k on it)

17 minutes ago, Finch said:

I ordered an ADL clutch and then the one that arrived was about 15mm wider all round on the disc which is no biggy but the pressure plate was about 5mm wider and even if that wasn't the case it would sit too far forward as it was a few mm deeper than the one I took off (both engines I had on the ground!) ended up with reusing the one off the new engine as it was near perfect anyway (engine only has 25k on it)

That's just bad service. So basically the clutch was completely different. It would seem that there are some brands that are advertising their clutch kits for all engines in the series even if it'll only fit a few of them. Thanks, I'll be avoiding ADL clutches from now on. 

47 minutes ago, Shawn2ace said:

That's just bad service. So basically the clutch was completely different. It would seem that there are some brands that are advertising their clutch kits for all engines in the series even if it'll only fit a few of them. Thanks, I'll be avoiding ADL clutches from now on. 

ADL are normally spot on, they produce for OE companies like Nissan Honda Toyota etc but the MB being an odd beast being half rover seems to throw them off

15 hours ago, Finch said:

ADL are normally spot on, they produce for OE companies like Nissan Honda Toyota etc but the MB being an odd beast being half rover seems to throw them off

Being the b*****d child of a Rover and honda hybrid, it does seem to throw most brands off quite a bit. You wouldn't believe how many parts I've bought and were meant to fit but didn't actually fit. 

4 hours ago, Shawn2ace said:

Being the b*****d child of a Rover and honda hybrid, it does seem to throw most brands off quite a bit. You wouldn't believe how many parts I've bought and were meant to fit but didn't actually fit. 

Yeah, I had a full gasket, belt and bolt kit. everything was perfect until I torqued the bolts down.. 20mm too long, cracked the block. I needed the 95-02 D-series (120mm) and they had supplied a 140mm 88-95 set of bolts. Gutted.

5 minutes ago, Finch said:

Yeah, I had a full gasket, belt and bolt kit. everything was perfect until I torqued the bolts down.. 20mm too long, cracked the block. I needed the 95-02 D-series (120mm) and they had supplied a 140mm 88-95 set of bolts. Gutted.

You'd be surprised how much sellers can't distinguish between the code 95-02, and 88-95. I've had the exact thing happen to me in the form of wheel bearings, hubs, arms and windshield. Luckily nothing from the engine yet and I've been lucky enough to be able to return back some of them.