UnicyclingTom

Unicyclingtom's Volvo V50.

Introducing our new family daily.

Volvo V50 SE 2.0 Td 

Toys...

Cruise Control, ECC (Electronic Climate Control) with AQS (Air Quality System) and Pollen Filter, 17in Zaurak Alloy Wheels (Silver Bright) - 205/50 R17 W Tyres with Locking Wheel Nuts, Anti-Theft Alarm and Level Sensor, Front and Rear Auto Open/Close Power Windows, IDIS (Intelligent Driver Information System) with Information Centre, Performance Sound Audio System - Radio/CD and Aux Input for MP3 Player, Rain Sensor - Automatic Windscreen Wiper Activation, Seats Electric (Memory Driver), Tinted Windows, Upholstery Leather, WHIPS (Whiplash Protection System) (Front Seats)

Dealer photos.

media.jpgmedia (1).jpg

media (16).jpg

media (15).jpg

media (14).jpg

media (13).jpg

media (12).jpg

media (11).jpg

media (10).jpg

media (8).jpg

media (7).jpg

media (6).jpg

media (5).jpg

media (4).jpg

media (3).jpg

media (2).jpg

• Like 2

Goes well, plenty of power,  just looking out to the MC2 at the top end. But, at low revs it walks all over it!

My wife (who's car this is really)  looking chuffed with the purchase! 

DSC_0975.JPG

First fuel up photo!

DSC_0976.JPG

• Like 1

The wife and I Drove through pouring rain to get home, I was in the civic and her in the volvo,  we darted in, there was a whiff of white smoke from the grill, we put it down to the weather and headed in.

We came back out to be greated by this... 

DSC_0980.JPG

Rainbow! :(

Anyhow, the garage is aware of the issue and it smells a bit diesely in the cabin but I ran it with fresh news paper underneath and spotted nothing!

Took it out to town a moment ago, and it still smells a little, maybe just paranoia. 

Gonna pop it into a local garage to see if they can find the minor issue whist it is still covered by warranty.

1 hour ago, UnicyclingTom said:

The wife and I Drove through pouring rain to get home, I was in the civic and her in the volvo,  we darted in, there was a whiff of white smoke from the grill, we put it down to the weather and headed in.

We came back out to be greated by this... 

DSC_0980.JPG

Rainbow! :(

Anyhow, the garage is aware of the issue and it smells a bit diesely in the cabin but I ran it with fresh news paper underneath and spotted nothing!

Took it out to town a moment ago, and it still smells a little, maybe just paranoia. 

Gonna pop it into a local garage to see if they can find the minor issue whist it is still covered by warranty.

Nice car buddy,
 Is that the same engine thats in the ST/RS Focus?

• Like 1

Cool. I've always liked volvos coz we had a couple when I was a kid. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finch said:

Nice car buddy,
 Is that the same engine thats in the ST/RS Focus?

Dunno.  Might be, the Internet wasn't 100% 

Doesn't sound like the 2.0 turbo D that's in Mondeo's, xtypes and transits! 

2 hours ago, dr_broon said:

Cool. I've always liked volvos coz we had a couple when I was a kid. 

I had the canary yellow 850 T5R on my wall and my old man had a 240, then a 440. 

I thought it was time we had one, but, never thought the wife would like it!

Very similar story :D

my dad had a couple of 240s (before getting his rs2000), and then my mam had a 340 for years. 

I quite fancy that an xc90 would be a good replacement for the tourer one day for camping duties, but Karen isn't convinced (as it would be hers).

• Like 1

Excellent choice Tom.......enjoy :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gel said:

Excellent choice Tom.......enjoy :)

Too far ;) 

1 hour ago, burbleboy said:

Looks a nice comfy beast Tom.

Remap? Does it have a DPF?

No, no Dpf, I checked that last night apparently the 8th digit of the vin number is the clue here, if you have a 4, it's a euro 4 engine,  no dpf. If you have a 5 it's a euro 5 engine and you have a Dpf. 

I'd definitely consider a remap on it, it's currently only 5mph slower up the test hill than the civic,  so a remap would cure that. 

Mind the volvo manages to tourque it's way up the hill in 3Rd from 2k rpm, I have to launch the civic from 2nd all the way to the red line!

21 minutes ago, UnicyclingTom said:

No, no Dpf, I checked that last night apparently the 8th digit of the vin number is the clue here, if you have a 4, it's a euro 4 engine,  no dpf. If you have a 5 it's a euro 5 engine and you have a Dpf. 

I'd definitely consider a remap on it, it's currently only 5mph slower up the test hill than the civic,  so a remap would cure that. 

Mind the volvo manages to tourque it's way up the hill in 3Rd from 2k rpm, I have to launch the civic from 2nd all the way to the red line!

My Accord was the same speed as Ruby (Davies old car) before decat and exhaust. The torque is immense and is a completely different feeling of power compared to my civic. I like the challenge of the civic as you have to thrash it to get anywhere, as you pointed out :) 

I'm sure after a remap the car will feel 'sporty' and suit your 'petrolhead' character ;) 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2016 at 0:15 AM, UnicyclingTom said:

Dunno.  Might be, the Internet wasn't 100% 

Doesn't sound like the 2.0 turbo D that's in Mondeo's, xtypes and transits! 

I didn't realise it was a Diesel, I was thinking of the ST / RS / T5 engine (Petrol) 

2 hours ago, Finch said:

I didn't realise it was a Diesel, I was thinking of the ST / RS / T5 engine (Petrol) 

wish it was! ;)

Fuel leak sorted.

The fuel line nuts were loose where it attaches to the injector :)

• Like 1

Genuine Rubber floor mats, genuine boot washer spray jet, spare bulbs and a Bluetooth dongle to go in the Aux port of the 'infotainment' system (as the volvo brochure/owners manual calls it!)

• Like 1

Iirc the Ford/Volvo/PSA (no DPF ) 2 litre shoves out circa 134bhp........even a simple plug and play Tuning Box should see your engine producing 165 bhp.....a more sophisticated Tuning Box will release even more power and torque.

A couple of years back.....I fitted a tuning box to a Ford Focus......the improvement was quite noticeable....best of all...it removed the flat spot the car experienced at low RPM (the car was inclined to cut out when taking off).

Some folk prefer a remap.....you pays your money and takes your choice....lol.

If you uprate the power output and keep the engine below 3500 RPM it'll eat that hill of yours for breakfast.

• Like 1

A Superchip remap would be 21hp and 43nm according to their website :twisted:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gel said:

Iirc the Ford/Volvo/PSA (no DPF ) 2 litre shoves out circa 134bhp........even a simple plug and play Tuning Box should see your engine producing 165 bhp.....a more sophisticated Tuning Box will release even more power and torque.

A couple of years back.....I fitted a tuning box to a Ford Focus......the improvement was quite noticeable....best of all...it removed the flat spot the car experienced at low RPM (the car was inclined to cut out when taking off).

Some folk prefer a remap.....you pays your money and takes your choice....lol.

If you uprate the power output and keep the engine below 3500 RPM it'll eat that hill of yours for breakfast.

I like the sound of that! 

It happened again. 

The wife parked the volvo, 2 hrs later it's in the same fence that broke the civic!

Rear window completely smashed.

Dent in the boot.

Bumper has a crease.

This is the current state:-

DSC_0990.JPG