Weird Vtec noise? MB3

m0l0t0v

Hi Guys,

Car started making this noise recently and I'm pretty sure it's not normal. It's far more noticeable in first gear then any other gear. If I keep the revs below a certain point then it sounds normal the entire way but where's the fun in that? ;) 

I'd only bother with the first 40/50 seconds or so...

Also, pretty sure that sometimes there's more/less noise from the gearbox/clutch. I'll try and get a video of that soon...

I'll try and help diagnose it but I need a couple answers; What size engine/code is it? It only happens when its cold? is there any oil around the bottom of the VTEC solenoid? is the oil level OK? and do you have any smoke?

I've always warm the car up below VTEC switch over so around 5k maximum in the first 5-10mins until the coolant temps are warm, I then increase to 5500rpm and try to hold it there for about 15-20 seconds this ensures all the oil is flowing to the rockers ready for the VTEC engagement, I let off the pedal let it come to around 3.5-4k before getting on the pedal again. My CTR had 236k on clocks no-smoke, no excessive oil use, no blow-by when I sold it. I had the car from 36k. Only difference was the bottom end was built but head was 90% stock, only thing different was TODA Spec A cams, Supertech Stem seals and a pair of 1990s old-school HKS cam gears

1.5  d15z. And makes that noise at all temps. That video is of her warm. Had already driven for about twenty minutes before hand. 

I'm not as religious as you with your warm up but being a biker for ten years, I've always been kind to engines from cold. As far as I know oil level is fine but I'll check on it now. Not overly helpful living in an incline! Recently did a service (plugs, oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter). It was making the noise before. Everything cranked up to correct torque settings and plugs definitely not cross-threaded! Old plugs looked in fine condition and cross checked them with what normal working plugs should look like.  

There's no smoke anywhere that I can tell. When I start her up later on and tomorrow morning I'll check. As far as I can tell she runs relatively fine. It's just a weird noise! 

The only thing that isn't stock is the lightened flywheel, but it was making the noises before. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m0l0t0v said:

1.5  d15z. And makes that noise at all temps. That video is of her warm. Had already driven for about twenty minutes before hand. 

I'm not as religious as you with your warm up but being a biker for ten years, I've always been kind to engines from cold. As far as I know oil level is fine but I'll check on it now. Not overly helpful living in an incline! Recently did a service (plugs, oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter). It was making the noise before. Everything cranked up to correct torque settings and plugs definitely not cross-threaded! Old plugs looked in fine condition and cross checked them with what normal working plugs should look like.  

There's no smoke anywhere that I can tell. When I start her up later on and tomorrow morning I'll check. As far as I can tell she runs relatively fine. It's just a weird noise! 

The only thing that isn't stock is the lightened flywheel, but it was making the noises before. 

Ah! OK I wasn't sure if you were VTEC'n from the get go like some people do :rolleyes:

I was trying to listen to that video, Apart from the cooling fan kicking in I can't really hear much else, describe it and then I'll try relistening :D

@Finch the weird noise starts at exactly 28 seconds in. If you hear the noise change  go from a standard rumble to a kinda annoying higher pitched tinny sound? Not very good at describing these things :rolleyes: Maybe that is just the standard sound and it's only recently started working? :lol:

Nah, I'm good to my engines. And everything I work on. I'm far more clued up on bikes though. And way easier to work on for sure. The difference in a clutch change is phenomenal...

okey so after doing some research on the internet i found out that it's not my gearbox(THANK GOD) the whiny noise on my car comes from the power steering and to fix it the only thing i have to do is replace the o-ring.... :D:lol::) 

• Like 2