B18 Overheating, coolant water dissapear

MagorG

Hi all, for the past week I had a problem with my MB6. I took it home from a complete maintenance at a workshop, including cambelt, water pump,... Suddenly when I was driving around a few days later I've spotted that the temperature slightly rises up, nothing too exciting. But next day when the car was running idle the temperature rises again and the fan didn't even engage. Thought there is something wrong I parked it and the next morning I was looking under the bonnet just to see that there is no coolant fluid, completely dry. Bought new, filled it to full and did some test drives. Turns, city center, some full gases. Checked the water immediately after that, the car was still idling, temp ok, the fan went on and off, coolant full. After that I drove the car about 3kms home and the next morning 3kms back to garage. When I was about to drive home today I checked the water just to see its dry again.... Any ideas? Haven't spotted any leaks so far, exhaust smoke as normal. Engine in perfect condition.

Thank you all.

PS: Lately I had a problem with VTEC not engaging if that could be all one problem.

Sounds like it's either got a coolant leak or there is air in the coolant system. Know from experience these engine can be a bugger to bleed the coolant system after it's been drained or partially drained. Air locks are quite common.

Are there any signs of coolant on the ground after the cars been parked up? Any signs of coolant in the engine bay? I'd wager that the coolant hasn't been topped u0p fu0lly, and once engines been run the coolant is spread around th0e engine meaning the resevoir is empty. Top it up again making sure there's

the correct amou0nt of antifreeze in it as well. With the engine cold, take the radiator cap off and then grab the bottom hose and squeeze it. You should see the water level rise in the radiator neck. Do the same with the top hose. With the engine warmed up slightly, check both the top and bottom radiator hoses are warm/hot.

With it having the water pump changed, it could be just an air lock. Was the water pump new or second hand? It could also be that the thermostat is faulty. These are cheap to buy and easy to fit, so cou0ld also be worth trying. Again, the only problem you may find is bleeding the coolant system after fitting a new thermostat.