Interior switches draining battery

Hondamad1988

Hi All,

The lights stay on the heated rear window button and the interior air circulation button, and you can also turn the blower fan on with the ignition/ engine turned off?

This old battery first died from what I think was this issue last winter after stopping at a freinds for a few hours. That battery lasted ok from then till few weeks ago when is died twice in a day , replaced battery for new and all seemed fine, untill today. Hadnt been driven for a day or so, the lady got it jump started from a neighbour, went swimming then came back out to find it had died again. Looks like she made sure everything was turned off after get home as ive tested it this evening and started fine at 18.30 then again at 23.00pm no problem.

Ive tightened the negative battery terminal as it was a tad loose, and checked any relevent fuses but cant see again that would cause this problem.

Went the old battery died a few weeks ago I noticed the lights had been on, I jump started it, took it for a drive and went I stopped I could turn off the ignition and the lights where no longer on and all switched off fine.

This evening however, ive been out once, and am also tresting it now and every time I turn off ignition I can can still operate the blower and the two lights mentioned above.

Could this be an ignition switch problem? Or is there some cut of switch somewhere?

I hate electrical faults....

Shouldn't Shouldn't be able to turn the heaters on without the ignition on, or those switch lights. 

Does things like the radio work without the ignition on? 

I'm far from an auto electrician, but is it a problem with permanent live vs switched live?

• Like 1

Yeah as said above mate you should deffo not be able to turn on anything with the ignition off (except headlights).

It could very well be a problem with the ignition itself and I would say that's the most likely cause.

I'd get the battery on charge mate and get it fully charged up. Make sure both the +itve and the -tive terminals are both tight. Any looseness in them will cause problems with charging and will also drain the battery.  The fact you can turn on both the heater and those switches would point to the ignition or a wiring fault. Do you know if the heater controls or the switches have been removed at any point?

Also check the wires at the starter, make sure they are tight and have good corrosion free connections. Also, are there any signs of damp/wet carpets in the front? If water is getting in, it could be that it's maybe getting to some relays or even the ecu. Wet carpets could also indicate the heater matrix is leaking which again could be soaking some electrical components causing the fault.

Thanks guys, all good pointers. I checked the relays in engine bay, all working fine. Although I could remove the relays and the lights for both the butttons stilled stayed on but there function didnt work. I looked around for other relays inside, and sprayed some WD in the ignition. At this point it was still doing the same thing, my mate arrived to take the car up to his garage to get his multi meter on it and test the battery discharge and other bits. He couldnt find a problem. He dropped the keys off, I took off the battery and charged it again, put it on in the morning, the cars been fine since. All lights turn off and blowers turn off aswell.

My conclusion is the WD40 worked some magic in the ignition it just took a few trips to do it magic, or there is an intermitent relay somewhere getting stuck on. Looking at the wiring diagram in the manual the only other relay I can see it could be is apparently there is one behind the heater controls which the Manual calls the Starter Relay? But isnt clear if this is for the starter motor or the starter relay for that controll panel. Annoyingly, I cant test that theory untill it stops working again! :-/

• Like 1

Lol here's hoping you don't have to mate! If the only change has been spraying the ignition and it's been fine since, then looking likely it's the ignition that's at fault. Really strange fault mate, can't remember ever seeing this happen before.