ignition fault.....possibly

Dougie

Question

Hi guys, I was getting all geared up for the big reveal on my build thread and now the b****ring thing wont start and i need one of you electrical wizards to help! cry.gif1

symptoms:

turn the ignition on and all the lights on the dash come on as they should.... with the exeption of the engine management light which doesnt come on at all. the main relay clicks but the fuel pump doesnt prime and then the engine wont even attempt to turn over.

immobiliser light flashes and then goes off the way it should

tried:

different and known working ECU

all earthing checked and cleaned

main relay tested

any suggestions would be immensely appreciated,

5 answers to this question

Yo Dougie, good to see you back mate! This sounds like a tricky one. I gather the engines been out? If so, can only think that something somewhere in the bay isnt connected right.

Could also be a relay/fuse has gone in the main fuse box in the engine bay? 

The ecu im not sure would have worked as i think the ecu has to match the immobiliser unit? Might be wrong on that one though. Have a look at the service manual (downloadable from here) and see what relays there are for the engine/fuel/management side of things. The fact the eml doesn't come on at all with ignition means something is deffo amiss. Can you list whats been done engine/wiring wise?

Hi Dave :)

the engine has indeed been right out, the other ECU that we tested the car with has run it before, (not recently though)

as far as whats been done, nothing has been changed wiring wise since the last time it was working, its got new/different pistons and cams, also a new inletmanifold that no longer has the IAB's however it was running with that already changed before we pulled the rest of it apart.

we have been over all the connections with a fine tooth comb but havent found anything that was forgotten.

Ill have a look at the fueses though thats a good shout thanks.

Yeah, concentrate on the main fusebox in the bay first mate, then the one inside the car. There are relays on the interior fuse box too though can't remember off hand what they all are ( know one is for front fogs)