Under chassis rust

dave79

Nope I sold it earlier this year. It was still going great despite 189k on the engine. I would have kept it a bit longer but ther was an abs fault i couldnt sort out cpuldnt get through mot like that. The buyer took it and stripped it despite saying otherwise. I've now got a 2.5 Forester XT which is just as sensible and practical.Still love those old Hondas though. Apart from rot they were awesome. 

• Like 1

If I was going to look for repair panels I'd go to rimmerbros.co.uk and search for mg zs or rover parts. They sell many panels. 

Altho unsure of a particular section like that.

Usually I'd say of you can find a good welder rather than just enough to get through the mot kinda guy.

Should be able to do a decent repair. I can recommend dynodaze he repairs many old jap cars to a very high standard. Located Nuneaton. My be to far for you though.

Edited by KiNK43
  • Like 1

thanks guys. sorry to here about the abs fault Dave. Yep nuneaton too far, ive found (hopefully) a good local welder who'll do a proper repair, that is what ive asked for, and dont think theyd just patch over anyway. mines not a VTi-s btw, sorry got carried away. just the VTi, will have to amend the profile. over 200k on the clock so past it;s best but goes fine. uses a bit of oil, but not excessive. would this just be valve stem oil seals ? will look in the engine section. did you get a good price, i dont think they fetch much though, prob worth more as parts ! e.g especially the engine + g/box, I'd imagine. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for mentioning dynodaze kink i feel i can make use of a decent garage like this...

Ive just had my old mg zs spoiler and side skirts sprayed to go on my mb2 i fitted my spoiler looks fantastic but ive hestitated to fit on the side skirts after pulling off drivers side standard skirt and finding dirt and crap on sills and then what i feel could be potential rust hidden behind the new skirts.....

Ive decided to get the sills inspected/repaired before i go forward with fitting zs skirts and dynodaze sounds like the place to go to...

Thanks

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

apart from this spot under the chassis by the front jacking point , and sills, hidden behind the plastic sill cover extensions, what are other common rust areas on the Aerodeck body to check / look out for ?  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mc2hammer said:

apart from this spot under the chassis by the front jacking point , and sills, hidden behind the plastic sill cover extensions, what are other common rust areas on the Aerodeck body to check / look out for ?  

Spare wheel compartment and behind the rear license plate.

thanks both. do the front wings come off easily ? im looking at the front windscreen area at the moment, can you take the scuttle off with the bonnet in place, it seems to be held in by rubber mouldings by the hinges ? under the scuttle appears largely ok as far as I can see. for the windscreen itself , i have the two side mouldings off, the top moulding appears to be stuck though, it appears that it doesnt just unclip like the side ones ? looks like it is held in by a bead of adhesive. 

guessing could be screen out job to properly inspect the windscreen recess ??

the side edges of the screen were filled with muck, now cleaned out, looks like some attention needed at the at the base of the A pillar where damp has got under and lifted the body sealant. 

surprised no one has mentioned rear wheelarches, under the trim strips seems another spot that could go. also need to look in the gutter recess  under the roof rails ? 

basically lift and look under / behind anything that can be removed !

keep the advice coming pls folks, it's all good stuff. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 11:16 AM, mc2hammer said:

im looking at the front windscreen area at the moment, can you take the scuttle off with the bonnet in place, it seems to be held in by rubber mouldings by the hinges ?

No need to remove the bonnet. Wipers need to go, and then some plastic clips if i remember correctly... it's been 10 years since i removed mine to clear up a clogged drain hole.

Removed roof rails maybe 5 years ago to get a better machine polish, found no rust underneath.

thanks for that Dexter, yes got the scuttle off ok - well enough to access under and check for the dreaded tin worm at least, roof rails are next on the list to check under the gutter trim. also would like to remove the front wings, anyone know how easy it is to get these off ? hopefully just bolts, once the various trims are removed ?