Dodgy foglight plug, can I bypass it?

kw94

Question

Whilst having a little pre-MOT check over (3 years ago) I noticed one of the front foglights wasn't working so I changed the bulb assuming it was a blown bulb. That didn't fix it, then while fiddling around and poking it and swearing lots I wiggled the connector plug and the bulb lit up - culprit found! If you squeezed the two plugs together it worked, as soon as you let go it stopped. Two cable ties around the plugs solved the problem and it worked fine for another 3 years...... Until now. 

I've tried putting new cable ties on (cable ties usually fix any problem!) and it still won't work, but if you squeeze the plugs together by hand then the bulb lights up again. Obviously it needs to work for the MOT next month, so is that sort of plug by-passable? Can I just cut out the plug and use a connector like the one in the second picture I've attached? <_< IMG_8019.JPGimage.jpg

8 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, hondasport said:

why use such a connector? if there gonna get water in it. Wouldn't use that type. There are waterproof connector that you can buy, much better.

Yeah I realised that would be the wrong type of connector after I posted it, that just happened to be the first thing I found at home that I might be able to use!  I ordered a waterproof connector today anyway :)

• Like 1

mate that'll be fine. all the water would do Is slowly put a layer of corrosion on the bare wire. I wont stop it from working being wet. but if you want a permanent fix get a proper connector as said above

On 11/01/2017 at 6:50 AM, Chandler said:

mate that'll be fine. all the water would do Is slowly put a layer of corrosion on the bare wire. I wont stop it from working being wet. but if you want a permanent fix get a proper connector as said above

I tried to solder in the proper/more permanent connector that I bought but that has got to be one of the world's most awkward places to work in! So I gave up and resorted to using the connector I posted a photo of in my first post, fog light works absolutely fine now. I'll soon find out how long it lasts!