Battery completely died?

Chris Rox

Question

I made the mistake of teaching my girlfriend to drive my mb6 for the first time tonight.

Anyway, lesson learnt.

I'd been saying I think it needed a new battery for the past few days because it's been sounding like it's struggling to start.

So anyway she's pooting along as slow as hell, stalling about 6 times then all of a sudden on the last stall everything died. ... no power, no hazards (at busy traffic lights flip sake) not even a feint glow from the internal light.

Managed to pull off an awesome reverse jump start on the smallest of hills and got home. I ragged it about on the way home but as soon as I switched it off and immediately tried to start it again it had nothing. Just really dim lights and not enough power to turn the engine over.

So my question is, can a battery just expire like that or is it an alternator problem?

It's felt like it's been down on power for a few weeks too, is this possible from a weak battery? Bare in mind there's been no squeaking from the belts or anything else like that.

I don't want to just go and buy a new battery if it could be something else altogether.

As per usual any help and guidance is much appreciated!

3 answers to this question

15 hours ago, UnicyclingTom said:

Cold weather can often f**k a battery double quick. 

My battery did exactly the same thing back at the beginning of December. Started fine the night before, dead as a dodo the following morning. Full recharge during the day and it still didn't have enough juice to start the engine.

Replaced the battery and its been working fine since.