Steering tie rod

hondasport

I need to keep the car on the road, its possible to unscrew the tie rod to check the thread size and then put it back together no problem? do i need to add loctite to the threads to re tight it properly or no need to? Do i have to be carefull not to spin the rack while im unscrewing the tie rod?

I apreciate your effort in trying to help me i hope im not beeing too much of a pain :)

I sended and email to autodoc and they said that i needed to buy all the rack cause they dont sell inner for my car separate.

Have a nice weekend my friend

Yes you could remove and put back. as I say above it has a punch mark to stop it spinning. So making a new punch mark to resecure is ideal But personally I like to use loctite yes.

The rack won't spin as such as the supported by the pinion.

But if you are having to exert a lot of force onto it to undo the rack end then yes probably best to hold it in place.

• Like 1

Took some pics of job today. May help.

Can see punch mark. Not that it matters. Broke free easily. And installed new ones with locktite.

These are part number btr 5239.

M14 both ends.

Need stilson or grips to remove old one. 

32mm spanner to install new ones.

Replaced boots aswell.

Load the rack and the balljoint with grease aswell while your there.

IMG_20200418_181815.jpg

IMG_20200418_181836.jpg

IMG_20200418_181937.jpg

IMG_20200418_182022.jpg

IMG_20200418_182231.jpg

IMG_20200418_184740.jpg

• Thanks 2

Nice job, awesome pictures, the sun is almost here! Got to keep strong and hope for the best, the sun always makes is comeback :)

What type of grease did you use? white lithium grease?

thanks

• 1 year later...

Getting around to doing full front suspension refresh. Was stunned to seemingly find out these weren't replacable. Thanks man you're a lifesaver.

Oh one more thing, I suppose I need to get a matching outer tie rod or will the original for my match these?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Johnny94 said:

Getting around to doing full front suspension refresh. Was stunned to seemingly find out these weren't replacable. Thanks man you're a lifesaver.

Oh one more thing, I suppose I need to get a matching outer tie rod or will the original for my match these?

Yes I was initially told cannot change them. However on inspection you can. 

Original outer should fit. For what they cost may aswell bang a new set on tho if yours are old.

Just use a decent brand. So they last. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2022 at 1:00 PM, KiNK43 said:

Yes I was initially told cannot change them. However on inspection you can. 

Original outer should fit. For what they cost may aswell bang a new set on tho if yours are old.

Just use a decent brand. So they last. 

hi soory to bother again wit this lol, but is there any torque specs for the inner tie rod?or is just tight enough with the red loctite? i am gonna do this today so just checking to be sure how to install it.

thanks

p.s i bouthg the tie rod from quinton hazzel  brand, part number QR3614s.

Edited by rickybeau