Rebuilding gearbox, won't go into gears?

m0l0t0v

Question

So yesterday I rebuilt my gearbox. It felt fine and then when I started the car, going left/right didn't feel as smooth as it should. Couldn't get into 2nd at all and first was a bit clunky... 3rd, 4th, 5th and reverse felt fine. Really smooth in fact. 

So I started the process again and I've taking the box out. Took it all apart and started from scratch. Before I put the cover back on I test left/right feel as if it goes into all the gears smoothly. Feels perfect. Can't get it into reverse but never could. Felt the same when I put my old gearbox back together and that was fine. 

But when I put the cover on and torque all the bolts, I can't get into any gear. As far as I can tell, nothing has changed other than the cover. So why would doing that make it hard to change gear? Don't want to put it back in until I'm 100% certain it's good to go...

So what the hell am I doing wrong? I put everything back in order following this guide and a YouTube video...

http://www.d-series.org/forums/transmission-alley/14079-diy-tranny-removal-input-shaft-bearing-change.html#/topics/14079?page=1&_k=2zxw6u

3 answers to this question

Ok, never mind. Sorted it. It was to do with the little balls and springs... Removed them all, noticed that one of the balls was actually stuck to the end of the bolt with the spring compressed...

Tested the gears without them in (not splitting the case... Again!) And they moved very fluidly. Even reverse. Then used the old bolts, springs and balls from my old gearbox, torqued them up and she still goes though the box beautifully. 

So it was those balls. Good to know anyways... Getting excited now to drive my old civic again! :D

• Like 1