Dexter

I'm aiming for 200bhp. I've got the exhaust side sorted out, now it's time to focus on the intake. I'd like opinions on 3 things:

1. Intake kit. The most popular choices here seem to be an ITR box with K&N filter, whale or cold air intake. Any thoughts? What about heat shields, anyone built one? I'm currently running a brandless aftermarket short ram without any shielding, probably not the best option.

2. Throttle body. Going for a bigger manifold obviously needs a bigger tb. Been thinking about ITR or Skunk2.

3. Intake manifold. Once again ITR and Skunk2 are the ones i've been considering Also heard good stuff about Edelbrock Performer X.

So what do you think? After these upgrades the next logical steps will be a fuel pressure regulator and Hondata. I know i won't make the most out of these, let alone get 200bhp, without changing cams but that will be a bit later.

I've got dc2 intake and throttle body, but still got the c4 manifold. I'm wary about changing it for the fear of loss of low end grunt. Think that when I get around to the intake mani I'll get a c4 one ported. 

Probably unrelated, but looking into tuning the wifes k24 (just research you understand...), there's a small gain top end for changing to the type r intake mani, but a loss in usable torque across most of the range. 

https://www.hondata.com/tuning_k24a2_tsx_engine.html

On 31.3.2017 at 11:48 PM, noodels said:

ITR inlet mani does not fit a c4 head

Really? I thought all b-series manis would fit. But good to know.

As far as I know the EK9 / DC2 B series are 60mm TB; Get one, a thermal gasket for both TB and intake manifold from say thermatec - Port match the mani and the TB to gasket size and you'll make power in a much smoother band too ;) 

Throw on a Whale c0ck, a S2000 cone filter (OEM / Aftermarket OEM style) in a box of some kind and you'll make a few hp.. might need to map it in though to make most of the power :) 

• Like 1

Just a whale intake will be of no benefit due to heat soak

Intake kit wise I Currently have a whale intake with a Blox 4" velocity stack and 6" filter with a direct cold air feed fitted to my aerodeck.

Throttle body I would go for 68mm or 70mm. I have a 70mm fitted.

Intake manifold I would have the new style skunk2 intake manifold over the performer x. I changed from old skunk2 to new style and you could feel the difference in midrange/topend.

• Like 1

On 31/03/2017 at 7:23 AM, dr_broon said:

I've got dc2 intake and throttle body, but still got the c4 manifold. I'm wary about changing it for the fear of loss of low end grunt. Think that when I get around to the intake mani I'll get a c4 one ported. 

Probably unrelated, but looking into tuning the wifes k24 (just research you understand...), there's a small gain top end for changing to the type r intake mani, but a loss in usable torque across most of the range. 

https://www.hondata.com/tuning_k24a2_tsx_engine.html

Its funny you mention that, I have read it quite a lot with regards to loosing low end but I have no way experienced any loss low down. Many of my customers have also said the same.

I wouldn't waste money on getting the stock manifold ported. The problem for power/flow is in the design.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 10000rpm said:

Its funny you mention that, I have read it quite a lot with regards to loosing low end but I have no way experienced any loss low down. Many of my customers have also said the same.

I wouldn't waste money on getting the stock manifold ported. The problem for power/flow is in the design.

Good to hear... Something else to add to the wish list then :D