Head gasket

Ace lacos

Question

Hi I've got a what I think is early signs of head gasket going , bubbles in the rad and soapy like frothing when revving engine and it sometimes blowed the expansion tank , it's not showing any other signs and is running fine , is it worth trying some sort of seelent that you add to the water as I can't afford to have the gasket fixed at the moment, thanks 

4 answers to this question

I had a duff headgasket on my 180k block in the MB2, I tried everything from steel seal, stop leak, barrs etc nothing really did the job and it eventually got worse and worse and blew hoses clean open not just off - Did drive it 50miles a day though... Its a pain in the wallet but if you get it done now you'll save yourself ALOT of money in the long run, especially if it cracks a cylinder wall or keeps blowing hoses up etc.

• Like 1

Thanks lads , yeah should have said this is on a b18c4 , it been like it a while now but the car has been on and of the road over the last 4 years, it seems to drive ok and I'm getting 34 mpg , no oil loss , just a little down on power when she's hot , will do a pressure test tomorrow , it doesn't over heat , some times it blows the expansion tank then the temp gauge goes up and it burps its self and come back to normal temp just don't know how long it will last , have only had it back on the road a week 

• Like 1