B18C4 high emissions again

Dexter

Last year i failed the emissions test part of MOT. Co% was high, sorted that out by changing the oxygen sensor. Also HC was way too high but after replacing a burnt distributor rotor and cap it was back to normal. Last friday for this years MOT i failed the emissions test again, with the exactly same results. I haven't checked anything yet but i'm assuming the same parts are in need of replacing again. Any idea what might be destroying them?

Hmm feels weird, since it's only 3 years since i replaced the cat. But have to take that into consideration. I'll take a look at the cap & rotor first, just waiting for the weather to get a bit better... it's been snowing again on and off the last two days!

It was an aftermarket one, but manufactured and fitted by Martelius which has been Finland's leading perfomance exhaust company for 30 years. But true, oem is always oem. I still have the original left, so might try fitting that if nothing else works.

• 2 weeks later...

So i opened the cap, found some residue on the terminals and cleaned them. There was a small burn mark on the rotor so replaced that. Lazy as i was, i cranked the engine by turning the key to get to the rotor screw and ended up breaking the coil, so replaced that as well. When putting things back together, i noticed there was a tiny bit of play in the rotor. Could that be a sign of a distributor bearing etc. giving way? Might explain why last year's problems have resurfaced.

Was it a new dizzy or used? If you're replacing dizzys that often there might be something else wrong, I've heard of someone not having their cam caps tightened to correct ft-lb causing vibrations thus causing damage to the dizzy/bearings. Have you done any head work?

I haven't replaced the dizzy yet during my ownership of 8 or something years. With last years problems i mean same type of high emissions again, and a slightly worn rotor and residual cap. Last year they were toasted though. The only head work i've done was replacing a leaking cam seal a year ago, but made sure to torque everything down to spec.

• 2 months later...

Turned out that the dizzy axle bearing had indeed come to it's end. Thanks to @10000rpm i got a refurbed distributor in no time, and after fitting it and reseting the ecu i passed emissions with flying colours. Time for a track day me thinks!

• Like 4